Thread: Atlanta Linux Fest 2008!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Arrow Atlanta Linux Fest 2008!

The Atlanta Linux Fest is the place to come and learn, discuss, and discover your next favorite system!

Atlanta Linux fest will be host to dozens of the top distributions: Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE -- all on the bleeding edge of innovation. If you are curious about what makes Linux the ultimate operating system, you definitely want to attend this event! There will be Live CDs available so you can try out the latest releases without installing.

There will be demos of all the major systems, installation help, user support for all your favorite distributions, and drawings for prizes! All you have to do is register to come (it's free!) and there will be pizza available for a $5 donation to the event.

This event will be held on Software Freedom Day. The Atlanta Linux Fest will celebrate the software freedom Linux distributions provides and will help educate users about the benefits of using high quality free and open source software in education, in government, at home, and in business -- in short, everywhere!

This event will be held:

Saturday - September 20, 2008

11 - 6pm

Register Today! (required to use free wifi) @ http://atlantalinuxfest.org

IBM Hillside Conference Center
    4111 Northside Pkwy Atlanta, GA.
    LoCo About Ubuntu! - jonreagan.wordpress.com

Vote for the Ubuntu Developer Network!!! - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18100/

Beans

Re: Atlanta Linux Fest 2008!

Sweet action. I'm going to see if I can get off work to go to that. I've always wanted to go to one of those.
    Acer Aspire 3680, Intel Celeron M, 1.41 GB RAM
    Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Beans

I'm registered. Thanks.
    Google is your friend...Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64 bit Foxconn WinFast 761GXK8MC-S AMD 64 3200+ 1 GB DDR2, nVidia 8500GT
    Production platform - Intrepid 64 bit 8.10 ASRock ALiveNF6P Phenom 9600 2GB DDR2 GeForce6x and Beryl/Compiz/Desktop Effects

Beans

So who else is going?
    Google is your friend...Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64 bit Foxconn WinFast 761GXK8MC-S AMD 64 3200+ 1 GB DDR2, nVidia 8500GT
    Production platform - Intrepid 64 bit 8.10 ASRock ALiveNF6P Phenom 9600 2GB DDR2 GeForce6x and Beryl/Compiz/Desktop Effects

Beans

Got back a little while ago. It was a very worthwhile event. At a few points, there was not an empty seat, and there were about twenty tables with four chairs each.
    I brought my laptop, and even though I didn't have 8.04 installed on it, I just grabbed a live CD from one of the tables, and it worked super. I used it kind of like a test, to simulate what someone new to Linux would experience. I got on the wireless network (which was very snappy, I might add), and during the breaks, was able to search on some of the stuff covered.
    The agenda included installing Hardy in a dual boot configuration with XP. Then we saw a run through of a typical Debian install. Following pizza, we heard a very good presentation on Sun VirtualBox, which has a ton of cool features. Following that was a presentation on Symphony, which I just might install. I like the feature that opens up each document on a separate tab instead of a new window. The next presenter covered SSH and GnuPG. I learned a ton. At the end of that, I won a book on the Linux Kernel. There were lots of givaways, and the buzz in the room was ample evidence that the next one will need a bigger room.
    Congratulations on the organizers, who did this on some pretty short notice. The presentations are going to be posted online (either on the www.atlantalinuxfest.org site or maybe http://www.ale.org/new/index.php).
    Next time, be there!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Atlanta Linux Fest 2008!

I would like to see those posted presentations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm Joshua Chase, aka, linuxcrypt. I think we have most of the footage on video and will be posting it through the day and tomorrow on the ALF homepage.

Thanks for the great feedback and positive words. We will be doing more in the near future!

-linuxcrypt