Thread: USB Wireless Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Cool USB Wireless Question

Hi

I am going to have to install a USB wireless adapter in my Desktop PC as I decided to get rid of some wire clutter.

I am running Hardy Heron 8.04 and everything seems to work fine for me.

Do you have any recommendations for a USB wireless adaptor that just works with Hardy Heron ? Please don't send me sad stories of something or the other that did not work - yeah I know some of them myself and yet I have stuck with Ubuntu since 5.04. There simply isn't a better disro in my experience. I'd greatly appreciate the success stories instead.

Also, there used to be a link in the Ubuntu (wiki perhaps) which had a tabulated list of all the network adaptors that works / does not work - tabulated by Vendor name. I have lost it and cannot find it after numerous searches. Could someone please send me that link if you have it ?

Many thanks,
    Anando
    Macbook Pro 15, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz 1 G RAM, ATI Technologies Inc X1600 Graphics Card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: USB Wireless Question

The list is the fourth Sticky. I have a WUSB54GC. I have to restart network about once a week, but it is otherwise pretty good. Does not have WPA though. At least I don't think it does

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rbc View Post
    The list is the fourth Sticky. I have a WUSB54GC. I have to restart network about once a week, but it is otherwise pretty good. Does not have WPA though. At least I don't think it does
    Thanks for that information. I would definitely like WPA - anyone with some success - Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Dimension 5150 desktop - which USB wireless adapters are you using ?
    Macbook Pro 15, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz 1 G RAM, ATI Technologies Inc X1600 Graphics Card

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone tried the ASUS WL-167g USB Wireless Adapter with Ubuntu 8.04 ? Some users on the newegg forum have reported that it works out of the box but others on the Ubuntu forum have reported that WPA does not work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anando View Post
    Has anyone tried the ASUS WL-167g USB Wireless Adapter with Ubuntu 8.04 ? Some users on the newegg forum have reported that it works out of the box but others on the Ubuntu forum have reported that WPA does not work.
    Did you find one that worked? I'm also looking for this.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Torsion View Post
    Did you find one that worked? I'm also looking for this.
    Yes, this worked out of the box. Every now and then the network strength drops to 75% but stays mostly in the upper 80's and 90's ... I don't know why.

Cheers,