Thread: [SOLVED] Office 2003 - Excel freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Office 2003 - Excel freezes

I recently installed Office 2003 in Ubuntu 8.04. I had to copy a few DLLs over from a Windows installation. All is smooth sailing, except for Excel. Whenever I change a value in a cell that affects a formula, the program freezes. No errors are shown on the command line. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Office 2003 - Excel freezes

Exactly the same Excel problem here. Fresh installation of Gutsy and Office 2000.

Beans

Same here, I just upgraded yesterday evening, and now, Excel 2002 (aka XP) and Excel 2003 are freezing sometimes.

At first I though it was an add-ons problem, but I'm not so sure about it now.

Moreover, the freeze happens with the new wine, but also with the (not changed during gutsy upgrade) old crossover-pro 6.2.0-1 !!!

Weird, and definitly a stopper for me as I _need_ Excel for my work :\

Any ideas ?

Beans

bump!

Beans

I found that the solver add-in was the culprit. I couldn't even disable it in Excel - it froze upon hitting OK button in add-ins window. I had to edit the user.reg file to remove all references to solver add-in. Now Excel seem to be working file even with lots of macros.

I had the same problem but did not have the solver add-in installed. I am Wine that came with Crossover to run windows applications. I found this fix by codeweavers (makers of Crossover):

[URL="http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/CXOffice62_Ubuntu804dosmem"]

Windows applications do not launch, or have started acting strange.

Running Crossover on recent versions of Linux (in particular Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron) may generate errors or warnings such as

preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000 err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space

and may refuse to run applications, especially ones that use Win16 or DOS calls. For instance, Microsoft Word 2000 will crash after a few seconds.

The workaround is to give the command:

sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0

This fixes the problem until the next time you reboot. (It also reduces security slightly.)

To avoid having to give that same command every time you reboot, also edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf with the command

sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf

and change the line that reads:
    vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536
    to:
    vm.mmap_min_addr = 0

That will apply the workaround for you when the system starts

This worked for Excel as well as Word.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Office 2003 - Excel freezes

Wow - I had forgotten about this thread. THANK YOU so much! (Sysctl person.) Works perfectly. =D>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi,

The solution for Excel did not work for me. Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, Access, Infopath, Groove all work except for Excel 2003

Any suggestions