Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

then comment out tty4,tty5, and tty6. Just leave tty1, tty2, and tty3. Three vts should be enough for a laptop or desktop user. Save the file.

i didnt have the inittab file in /etc/ do i need to create it or install something?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

they are located in /etc/event.d/. you can just remove the tty's that you don't want to run.

Beans

ah that makes sense, another thing i removed usplash from the sysv-rc-conf and when i booted up usploash appeared, what did i do wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i think usplash is controlled via grub boot lines. check out /boot/grub.menu.lst file and remove the word "splash" from the end of your boot lines. that's just what I think and may not be totally correct. you can always put that splash on the end of your boot line back if that's not it.

Beans

this makes sense thanks, if i recall this was mentioned in the guide, i should of reread it, thanks

Beans

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon takes for ever to boot :-(

I have an Acer Travelmate 4000 where i installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon on in a dual boot config with XP. I have tried several other Linux-flavors before (Xandros, Fedora, Open Suse etc), and Ubuntu is the slowest to boot! I did not tweak anything and i guess i have one of the elderly gibbons out there: takes more than 3 and a half minutes! I love open source, but this means i mostly boot into XP as it boots quicker... I guess i'm going back to some other Linux flavor and wipe Ubuntu from my HDD...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon takes for ever to boot :-(

Quote Originally Posted by raoulteeuwen View Post
    I have an Acer Travelmate 4000 where i installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon on in a dual boot config with XP. I have tried several other Linux-flavors before (Xandros, Fedora, Open Suse etc), and Ubuntu is the slowest to boot! I did not tweak anything and i guess i have one of the elderly gibbons out there: takes more than 3 and a half minutes! I love open source, but this means i mostly boot into XP as it boots quicker... I guess i'm going back to some other Linux flavor and wipe Ubuntu from my HDD...
    Ubuntu has the philosophy to work just get it working, this includes having a lot of system services running and starting during boot up. I agree this can take very long. Fortunately you can remove all those processes if you do not need them. You can also try fluxubuntu that will not use all those startup services by default and will be much faster.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon takes for ever to boot :-(

Quote Originally Posted by raoulteeuwen View Post
    i duno if i got you in time, but don't give up. my system used to take 3 1/2 minutes to boot up also. and then i ran across this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=long+startup. it was the easiest two line edit ever, and i shaved 2 minutes off my boot. that is amazing to me.

anyway good luck.

Beans

Thanks thechilipepper0! That did shave off about 1 minute or more (just did it, timed it while watching tv (as i got used to taken it up a lot of time)). Did someone close to the developers tell them this? This should be a default option/behaviour since it makes such a difference?

Since i now see what Ubuntu is doing, i find every boot the DOS-partition is checked, taking about 45 seconds. Is this really necessary? I read somewhere it is, but since i'm dualbooting, i guess the FAT-partition gets checked often enough? Anybody?

I will give Ubuntu another try!

Beans

Found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470726 ... Now my boot time from grub selection-screen till logon screen is about 45 seconds !

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast