Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it. - updated

Quote Originally Posted by dejitarob
    If you are dual-booting with Windows, it is probably a good idea to leave ntpdate on. Windows can only deal with the hardware clock set to local (not UTC) and Linux needs ntpdate to correct this, otherwise your clock will increase an hour everytime you boot into Linux from Windows. Thanks for the great how-to.
    Thanks very much! I will update this to the HowTo
    Linux user #392733
    -------------------------------------
    You want to know what a computer really is, try Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Originally Posted by dejitaOriginally Posted by dejitarob
    Windows can only deal with the hardware clock set to local (not UTC) and Linux needs ntpdate to correct this,
    ... if your linux system is told that your hard clock is set to UTC. If your linux system is told (via setup) that the hard clock is set to local time, ntpdate is still useful to fine-tune the system time.

A more full explanation. I am 98% sure this is correct...

I believe linux can be set to accept the hardware clock being set to UTC or to your local time, whereas windoze only expects the hardware clock to be set to local time. If both linux and windows are expecting the hardware clock to be local time, the two systems will each happily read the local time off the hardware clock and set the system time to that time. However in the case that linux is set to expect the hardware clock to be utc, a prior session under windows will have set the hardware clock to local, so your time in your next linux session will be out of synch.

To explain more indepth:
    At bootup, linux runs 'hwclock'. Hwclock sets the system time to what it finds on the hardware clock. If hwclock has picked up local time off the hardware clock, but is expecting (ie told in your linux setup) that it is picking up UTC time, then hwclock will set the system time incorrectly. This is because it reads the local time off the hardware clock, however it considers it to be utc, and applies local time conversion again to what is already local time. The nett result is that your system time is set for the timezone twice the distance that you actually are from utc, ie from Greenwich.
    However if you have ntpdate run in the bootup it sets the correct system time irrespective of what hwclock has done: your system time will be set to exactly the correct time for your stated timezone. This is because ntpdate runs after hwclock, so any incorrect time set by hwclock will be fixed. Plus if your hardware clock has lost or gained any time while your PC was off, ntpdate will cause this to be corrected too.

otherwise your clock will increase an hour everytime you boot into Linux from Windows.
    ... assuming your local time is an hour ahead of utc. See above.

If you are dual-booting with Windows, it is probably a good idea to leave ntpdate on.
    ... if your linux system is told that the hard clock is actually set to utc, and also to set the clock precisely. See above.
    Last edited by DavidTangye; April 8th, 2006 at 02:06 AM.
    The last great frontier is In Your Mind!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Very nice! Good to know!
    Linux user #392733
    -------------------------------------
    You want to know what a computer really is, try Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sysv-rc-conf isn't available in the repo's anymore I really enjoyed this my last install of Ubuntu I can't stand IinitNG. Do you know of another way to get sysv-rc-conf?
    Registered Linux User #411322 - Get Counted!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by R3linquish3r
    sysv-rc-conf isn't available in the repo's anymore I really enjoyed this my last install of Ubuntu I can't stand IinitNG. Do you know of another way to get sysv-rc-conf?
    Something might be wrong. Im on Breezy now and I see it in Synaptic. I just got it yesterday for Dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Could be because I'm using 64 bit this time around :/

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Ahh... Good to know when I build my new PC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just got it from the repo's....again! uni & multi are enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict
    Ahh... Good to know when I build my new PC.
    Don't let that push you away from AMD 64's. There hella fast. Just don't use Ubuntu x64 run x32 instead. It's not that much slower.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Stupid question but how do you shutdown a process? By removing the X from all the runlevels?

Can anyone show me a screenshot of how a final modified sysv-rv-conf looks like?

And what is Logical Volume Manager and how do I know whether I need it or not?
    Last edited by Mishal; April 14th, 2006 at 06:05 AM.

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast