Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by shirishag75
    Thanx for the note. Was able to clear up the mess. Also understood small bit about ps. Here's the output from :-
    ps -aef|grep hald
    hal 6514 1 0 01:04 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/hald
    hal 6519 6514 0 01:04 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi
    hal 6527 6514 0 01:04 ? 00:00:02 hald-addon-storage
    1000 7812 7705 0 03:49 pts/1 00:00:00 grep hald

Seems to be o.k. I guess. Slightly OT which I'll scrub later but do u/anybody know/s how to show the thumbnails in the same side. I saw in the forum somewhere people able to conserve space by putting thumbnails next to each other.
    Cool. Glad it worked out for ya. But for the thumbnail thing, sorry I don't know.
    Linux user #392733
    -------------------------------------
    You want to know what a computer really is, try Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by domino
    Thanks for adding the default values. This will be handy on my future installs. I'll make I post defaults on my desktop after I wipe the entire drive and re-install.
    np. Good luck man.
    Linux user #392733

Beans
    Hidden!

sudo mv Kxx to kxx did not seem to change the capatol K to lowercase.. any idea's why..
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That's weird because it did on mine atleast. My query is different though. These processes are there on the startup script but have no entry in the shutdown /etc/rc.0d or /etc/rc6.d

1. dns-clean
    2. lm-sensors
    3. ntpdate
    4. ppp-dns
    5. rmlogin
    6. syslogd~

Quote Originally Posted by idmaster
    18. sysklogd :- I have 3 services by this name. syslogd, syslogd~ & syslog_b$. While syslogd is on from 2-5 the rest are off. Fine and you should be able to delete syslogd~ safely since that's just a backup file.
    What is this backup file & what does it do? Till when does it backup & what do the other 2 similar services do. I know that's not the scope of the Howto but if u can
    Last edited by ShirishAg75; December 24th, 2005 at 10:10 PM.
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The issue being was looking at /var/log/syslog.0 & the last entry there was of 22nd December. Nothing after that. Any ideas how to generate the logs again?
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i have the same audio problem that everyone else has, but its wierder. i disabled hotplug and hotplug-net and set up eth0 to work w/o hotplug-net and the internet works fine, when i rebooted the sound didnt work. so i was just gonna replace hotplug and i thought everything was gonna be fine, but somehow hotplug misteriously disappeared. i didnt worry about it and used my dads pc which i also installed kubuntu on, and used that for a day or two. i think i installed something from synaptic and restarted linux, when i got back into kde the sound worked, which i thought was odd cuz i didnt do anything. so i installed 2 new kernels (2.6.14 from vanilla sources and 2.6.12-smp) and went into the 2.6.14 and the sound didnt work! tried it in the smp one, same thing. went back into my normal kernel, same thing. the wierd thing is in atleast one of the kernels it gives me an ALSA error or something that it cant find the soundcard (its integrated into my mobo [ac97] ) and on the other two usplash says "starting the hotplug subsystem" and loads it then it says "ALSA card0 ok ALSA card1 ok" then it says something about the network interface which i thought was wierd cuz i didnt enable hotplug again the best tool ive seen sofar for messing with the boot scripts is a program i found on kde-apps.org it was called debian services control panel or something liek that, and it allowed u to start/stop services and either add them or delete them from running at bootup. (im guessing it removed the links, i think thats what it did) but i cant find the .deb or anything on the site anymore and i have it saved on my hdd but it wont work

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    sudo mv Kxx to kxx did not seem to change the capatol K to lowercase.. any idea's why..
    Not sure but it should. Try to specify the whole file name and see how it goes.
    Linux user #392733

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

That's weird because it did on mine atleast. My query is different though. These processes are there on the startup script but have no entry in the shutdown /etc/rc.0d or /etc/rc6.d

1. dns-clean
    2. lm-sensors
    3. ntpdate
    4. ppp-dns
    5. rmlogin
    6. syslogd~

What is this backup file & what does it do? Till when does it backup & what do the other 2 similar services do. I know that's not the scope of the Howto but if u can
    Those are just running once when bootup. They don't need shutdown. As of syslogd~, sometimes it will be created when you are editing that file or the file has been updated. Do a
    Code:
    diff -burN syslogd syslogd~
    and also
    Code:
    ls -latr
    on those two files and see what's the differences and access time on them. The syslogd~ would probably be older than syslogd which can just be del'ed.
    Linux user #392733

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

The issue being was looking at /var/log/syslog.0 & the last entry there was of 22nd December. Nothing after that. Any ideas how to generate the logs again?
    The current is always named syslog not syslog.0. That is the last saved file since the syslog files are log rotated.
    Linux user #392733

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Brando569
    i have the same audio problem that everyone else has, but its wierder. i disabled hotplug and hotplug-net and set up eth0 to work w/o hotplug-net and the internet works fine, when i rebooted the sound didnt work. so i was just gonna replace hotplug and i thought everything was gonna be fine, but somehow hotplug misteriously disappeared. i didnt worry about it and used my dads pc which i also installed kubuntu on, and used that for a day or two. i think i installed something from synaptic and restarted linux, when i got back into kde the sound worked, which i thought was odd cuz i didnt do anything. so i installed 2 new kernels (2.6.14 from vanilla sources and 2.6.12-smp) and went into the 2.6.14 and the sound didnt work! tried it in the smp one, same thing. went back into my normal kernel, same thing. the wierd thing is in atleast one of the kernels it gives me an ALSA error or something that it cant find the soundcard (its integrated into my mobo [ac97] ) and on the other two usplash says "starting the hotplug subsystem" and loads it then it says "ALSA card0 ok ALSA card1 ok" then it says something about the network interface which i thought was wierd cuz i didnt enable hotplug again the best tool ive seen sofar for messing with the boot scripts is a program i found on kde-apps.org it was called debian services control panel or something liek that, and it allowed u to start/stop services and either add them or delete them from running at bootup. (im guessing it removed the links, i think thats what it did) but i cant find the .deb or anything on the site anymore and i have it saved on my hdd but it wont work
    A little messy here. After bootup to the system, do this and post it out:
    Code:
     lsmod |grep -iE '(snd|ac97|pcm|oss|codec)'
    See if there are any sound modules loaded at runtime.
    Linux user #392733

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast