Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Intrepid on a Acer Aspire One

Moved to Hardware & Laptops.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 on the Acer Aspire One

Christian,

The left-hand reader works fine for me without doing anything. In fact, for me, a card does not have to be inserted at boot-time. I have checked this numerous times.

The right-hand reader, however, doesn't work the same. I haven't remembered to have a card in there at boot-time to know whether having one in there works or not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

One thread merged.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Note for those of you wondering if it's worth it to move from the default linpus install: Some things work now that didn't before:

1. My bluetooth adaptor was recognized immediately when I plugged it in
    2. I have much better options for external monitor resolutions
    3. I was able to use my printer (shared on network via Linksys PSUS4)

It really depends on what you're using your AAO for.

Beans

Just a quick tip for those struggling with wireless drivers on the AAO:

All I had to do to get my wireless working well was install linux-backports-modules-intrepid BEFORE updating right after installation of 8.10, then disable the default driver in System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. After a reboot wireless worked perfectly. I had tried both following the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L, as well as the madwifi driver with no success before taking the more simplistic approach.
    Hope this helps somebody.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm having a problem with my wireless card disappearing completely from the system. I'm unable to disable anything under my hardware drivers option, and
    Code:
    lspci | grep net
    only shows my normal ethernet card.

Any suggestions??

Beans

@bobnutfield and others: I just read the 8.10 release notes at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/rele...20by%20default. These always contain nuggets of wisdom and make worthwhile reading. In this case:

While not installed by default, this linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic package is included on the Ubuntu 8.10 CD and DVD images for ease of installation.
    ...thus if you create a bootable USB, it should include the package containing the ath5k driver. Find the appropriate package, install and go.

On an unrelated note, I have observed that wireless performance goes downhill over time. After a day of continuous use, Network Manager reports signal strengths much lower than actual. Powering down, removing the battery for a few seconds and then replacing it seems to fix the problem. I doubt this is a driver flaw; probably I smudged something with my (greasy?) fingers while doing a manual RAM upgrade and static accumulation or something is degrading the performance. However if anyone else is experiencing the same, I would appreciate knowing.

Hmmm... I read somewhere that there are slightly different versions of the AAO. If that's true, we do have a problem.

For instance, someone mentioned in the old wikipage that the internal mic is not working and even linked a launchpad bug for it. But the mic works for me and for others withput any problems.

Both card readers work for me without any tweaking.I just need to have them inserted before booting.

Regarding wireless: I have not stresstested the ath5k setup. I mostly do not use this machine for a complete day or longer, but I can try later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I finally got my AAO (XP 1G 120Gb) running 8.10 persistent from a USB stick with updates/upgrades using a wired connection to my router. The bluetooth mouse often needs to be removed and reinstalled to get it to work- a known bug, also sometimes on bootup the ethernet hasn't connected. Possibly last time the following got it back-
    sudo ifconfig eth0 down
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up

(I'll keep checking that my ethernet link works and edit this post if there's more news)

A couple of days ago, after checking out another Forum thread, I disabled the Atheros driver in System>Admin>Hardware Drivers and downloaded some madwifi stuff with no success. However, System>Admin>Hardware Drivers showed a/the driver disabled but still active. Wlan(0) wasn't visible in ifconfig or iwconfig. Earlier today after reading this thread I blacklisted ath_pci as descibed earlier and inputed nothing else. A reboot and my Wlan(0) was working and initially recognising my neighbours router not mine! Perhaps related to broadcast of my router's essid being turned off? I'm currently posting from my AAO with wifi.

The Network Applet in the top toolbar reports that I'm using the ath5k_pci driver and Hardware Drivers shows the Atheros driver is not activated. Can I assume that my driver came courtesy from the madwifi source?

Outstanding issues for me are getting a reliable connection to my Bluetooth mouse, password protection on my live USB stick, a way of backing it up to my desktop PC and why A package Manager icon is always active on the top toolbar.
    Last edited by Handssolow; November 3rd, 2008 at 07:00 PM.

Beans

I found this on another thread, after getting the "Unable to change Visual Effects" error when trying to get Compiz working, the answer is:

type:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and then reboot, and now you should be able to enable desktop effects and get compiz working.

Remember to add:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

and follow this tutorial to get everything else working
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast