Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Atheros ar928x working...

Beans

Re: Atheros ar928x working...

Hi pytheas22. Yes, I am using the version in the repositories. As I mentioned, I managed to compile 2 more-recent versions of hostapd, which included the latest, but for some reason, neither work properly or not at all - at least with Ubuntu 10.04LTS.

And like I said, it may not be ideal as it stands but it's an order of magnitude better than ad-hoc.

Beans

This is just for the random Googlers who are searching for XP drivers for this chipset still. I spent an insane amount of time on this chipset & WEP networks, before finding some sanity with AP networks, and finally doing the really sane thing and buying a router! Anyway, like an itch that just won't go away, I started playing with NDiswrapper again today, after finding a new (to me!) driver website that looked promising - and ho & behold, all the problems vanished! It was all a case of finding the right driver!!! Although with a router & WPA, NDiswrapper isn't needed as the Linux driver seems to work perfectly. Much better in fact - NDiswrapper only seems to cater for 54Mb/s b/g networks, whereas the Linux driver works great with the much faster 11n as well.

It also gave me courage to have another go with a different NIC that has nearly driven me to distraction over the years - a Dlink DWL-G520 - this is one that the Linux developers just didn't put much effort into imo, so NDiswrapper is essential. And rather than just hope the driver matched the chipset, I made sure this time by removing the cards shielding (just a couple of screws) and eye-balling the chip - turned out to be a 5212 - something I should have done years ago! This driver worked first time as well which amazed & delighted me.

The driver-site in question is - www.nodevice.com

and in case it ever vanishes, below are links to the 2 'worked-for-me' drivers.
    Atheros AR5212 - http://ubuntuone.com/2oW8EC3yzyo3b38xY15DDH
    Atheros AR928X - http://ubuntuone.com/3BZVN476Qv0FMK5RcZLds6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For anyone previously struggling with their AR928* adapter, my 9287 absolutely flies with NO configuration necessary in 12.04. I had to tweak it in prior versions but it seems fixed now.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516