Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Hi. I have question about WAV & WMV Files

Beans

[SOLVED] Hi. I have question about WAV & WMV Files

Hi. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on Saturday night. Got my feet wet without putting cement boots on.
    After figuring out about my setting up the Thunderbird and Evolution I started receiving my emails.

A couple of them had WMV files. I had to send them back to myself to open in my Windows XP for viewing. What can I use to be able to view WAV and WMV files in Ubuntu that is already a package that comes for downloading that is Ubuntu supported? I need something to be able to view what some of my friends and family members send. For some reason I was thinking that there was a package available for the download from the Ubuntu supported section. Maybe I'm misthinking. That happens at times.

Or do I have to search for something to use. As you can see I'm new at this and am lost trying to learn. Eventually I want to completly conver over from Windows but until then I need to learn all I can about what I need to do things with.

All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tom
    Debian Testing and Debian Stable
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Beans

Re: Hi. I have question about WAV & WMV Files

vlc should play them by default but may want to install ubuntu-restricted-extras in order to get full support in most apps.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans

Did you install the restricted-extras package, this includes codec packs amongst other things.

Search for ubuntu-restricted-extras in synaptic, or type this in termninal

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by halitech View Post
    vlc should play them by default but may want to install ubuntu-restricted-extras in order to get full support in most apps.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Beans

Beans

Thanks for the responces. Is Vic a restricted format or the Ubuntu supported format? When I clicked on the WMV link that was in the email sent, nothing happend.

I went to the link that Morphen sent and it has some interesting reading there. I noticed that it mentioned OGG VOrbis and OGG Theora. What are those?

Would they be able to play automatacilly the WMV and WAV files like Openoffice.org does for the ppt? Or is this something totally and completly different?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Formats that do not come supported out of the box can be remedied by installing the restricted package above. They are not included out of the box due to some sticky legal issues.

By installing the package above the codecs will be automatically installed in a place that all applications can now access them. You will need to install a media player that recognizes the .WAV filetype as something it should open.

Rhythmbox is the default music player I think.

Ogg is just another container type, like .mp3 or .wav. Vorbis describes the compression algorithm used to squeeze the file down to a acceptable size. Ogg is open source and is the "preferred" format of the open source community. Technically speaking everytime you buy an mp3 or wmv or many others, you're suppose to pay a few pennies to the guy who invented it. Whereas Ogg is for anyone to use.
    Last edited by ace007; August 19th, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia boy View Post
    Thanks for the responces. Is Vic a restricted format or the Ubuntu supported format? When I clicked on the WMV link that was in the email sent, nothing happend.
    VLC is actually a program (Video Lan ???, it slipped my mind at the moment) that will play almost every format with no need to install anything else

I went to the link that Morphen sent and it has some interesting reading there. I noticed that it mentioned OGG VOrbis and OGG Theora. What are those?
    they are just different compression formats that are free as opposed to the windows versions of wma/wmv which you have to pay to use.

Would they be able to play automatacilly the WMV and WAV files like Openoffice.org does for the ppt? Or is this something totally and completly different?
    if you download (or have one on your system already) you can right click - open with and select the media player you want and put a check in where it says always use

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom
    very welcome and hope it helps
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans

Halitech, I haven't checked that out yet. Is VLC in the regular downloads for Ubuntu already downloaded or do I have to just download and apply and I'll be able to view the other stuff? Is it listed as VLC?

That would be great! I'll have to check that out. Stll learning as you can see.

I really appreciate everyones help. I'm wanting to be fully open source on Ubuntu. So, I'll be also looking at how to download the free MP3's from Cnet music downloads as a different format. I'm going to try and stay away from proprietary stuff. That's why I'm even using stuff such as Openoffice.org on my Windows system also.

Again thanks for all of your help!!!!

Tom

Beans

Hi. I found VLC in the all open source applications of the add/remove applications section. It mentions that it is provided by the Ubuntu community. Does that mean that it is approved by Ubuntu or just introduced and used by the Ubuntu users?

This isn't a restricted application right? It is completely open source that is just not supported? How does it get updated or does it if not supported? Just wondering.

So, I just go into the All Open Source section and check VLC and apply and then I should be able to watch those WMV files sent to me.
    If so, then I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for all of the help information. I really appreciate it. I'm always trying to learn something new. Eventually I want to completely convert over to Linux from Windows. So the more I learn the easier it will be and the better off I'll be.
    Thanks
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast