Thread: [Warning Rant] Gnome and KDE

Beans

[Warning Rant] Gnome and KDE

gnome was the first desktop environment i used and is the one i am most happy using, however every now and again i dip into kde like when major releases occur. is it just me or does it seem like gnome is stalling compared. in the last major release there were lots of sort of stabilising finishes or in a different way no radical changes that affected how you used the system. whereas kde are all over the shop with plasmoids/plasmids and really seem to be trying to come up with something very radical. also i can't get over having different desktop backgrounds. ha experimented with walpapoz but the delay made me give up on it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: [Warning Rant] Gnome and KDE

Coming from the Mac camp, I find Gnome more familiar in ways. I first tried Kubuntu but didn't like it. It also seemed a little buggy but that could have been because it was the new 4.0.
    If I wanted vertical space, I would have bought a square monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Don't get me started on Gnome VS KDE!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ha ha! Is there some sort of "Hot Topics" section here? If not, maybe there should be or is this what the "recurring discussions" section is for? I know a lot of people like to debate this but usually ends up in flames.

Last edited by CraigPaleo; November 6th, 2008 at 06:38 PM.

Beans

GNOME usually adds features in gradually. That is why you usually don't see much change, but if you look back at gnome 2.18, you will find it is very different than today's GNOME. Whereas KDE impliments the bulk of features in one major release then spends a while updating it. Other features usually come in during the minor releases, but nothing near as radical as the major ones. Though, those major releases may not happen for a few years at a time.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

KDE's better. It's waaay more customizable than Gnome and I hate nautilus (I can't even press F4 to open a terminal, it's a major PITA when I helping my friends with Ubuntu). When I recommend Linux to other people though, I usually recommend Ubuntu (with Gnome) because it's easier to learn, although one of my friends ordered a Kubuntu CD and didn't have any problems learning KDE< and actually tried Gnome later and prefered KDE
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD