Thread: New To Programming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

New To Programming

Hi everyone. I am just getting started with programming (not completely, I have some VB experience on a Windows machine).

Anyway, I am planning on making a small key/scroll/click counter for a linux machine. Any ideas on where to start? I don't even know what I'm going to code in. Are there any good C++ editors around for GNOME to use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: New To Programming

Quote Originally Posted by soritong
    Hi everyone. I am just getting started with programming (not completely, I have some VB experience on a Windows machine).

Anyway, I am planning on making a small key/scroll/click counter for a linux machine. Any ideas on where to start? I don't even know what I'm going to code in.
    I'd start with a few simple CLI programs, just to get some programming experience. GUIs will come later .
    For example, google for a simple C tutorial, compile it with gcc, that would be a good start I think Later you can have a look around what you really want to learn.
    Kind regards,
    nemin

Beans

soritong

If you are serious to learn something try this book. It gives a lot of essential information how your PC works, and how to program it using linux. I would say it a must for starters. Besides it has a vast list of exellent books on linux programming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron