Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo Install Doom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

HowTo Install Doom

This is my first How To and i am writing it because it took me a very very long time to install Doom on my machine. Their were many methods and directions that i found were confusing. I am hoping to deter anyone else from having the same problems and making the same mistake

Method 1. COMMON SENSE (synaptic)

Note: You may laugh, but i actually discovered this AFTER trying methods 2 and 3!
    Open up terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install doom-wad-shareware prboom
    Now click on PrBoom in your games menu.

IF YOU EXPERIENCE FREEZING:
    Create the following empty file: /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg

This is definitely the easiest method, but it may not be for everybody so here are 2 other methods.

METHOD 2: LEGACY
    Note: This method took me a while to figure out and for a while i thought i was doing something wrong or missing something. Their was a lack of instruction on the internet and i had to piece this together myself. I used the doom-wad-shareware file for my .wad. I have sound working and this could be why, but i don't know for sure.

1. First you MUST HAVE a .WAD file. This contains everything (sounds, maps, etc.):
    doom-wad-shareware can be installed via terminal or synaptic
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install doom-wad-shareware
    alternatively you can download the FreeDOOM .wad from this site http://freedoom.sourceforge.net/download/

if you downloaded the doom-wad-shareware version from synaptic, you may wonder where the .wad file is when i tell you to move it. It is located in /usr/share/games/doom

2. Download the newest LEGACY files from here http://legacy.newdoom.com/downloads.php

3. Extract the .zip file to your home folder (or wherever you prefer) and place your.wad file directly into it. Now open up terminal and enter the extracted folder (i will assume you placed it into your home folder)

Code:
    cd legacy_142_linux
    and hit ENTER
    Code:
    ./llxdoom
    and hit enter
    Some wacky stuff will happen. It will let you know if your .wad file cannot be found. If it isn't, then you forgot to place it into the extracted legacy folder.

Now type
    Code:
    ./lsdldoom
    If everything went well, you should be ready to play!

Method 3. DOS
    Note: This method is fairly easy but inconvenient. It is a process to start the game up every time you want to play. This uses the original DOOM engine, however, and may be liked by collectors or people who would just like to have the original DOOM

1. Download DOSBox. It is available under SYNAPTIC, GETDEB.NET or by typing the following into terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dosbox
    2. download the folowing zip file ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom/doom19s.zip

3. Extract the the .zip to your home directory. You should now have a folder called 'doom19s'

4. open up DOSBox. It should be located under games in your gnome panel menu. Type the following:

Code:
    mount c ~/doom19s
    and hit ENTER
    You will get the following message:
    Drive C is mounted as local directory /home/billy/doom19s
    Now type
    Code:
    c:
    The Z\:> will now be a C:\> and type in:
    Code:
    DEICE.EXE
    5. You will now get the setup screen. It will ask you which drive you would like to install to. type c and hit enter.

It will then ask you for a directory name. Hit enter unless you would like to call the directory something else. I am unsure if this will screw anything up, to be safe, i would keep it the way it is and hit enter

It will tell you the directory does not exist. Type y to create it anyway.

6. We are brought back to the dos prompt screen. We now type in the following:
    Code:
    DOOMS_19.EXE
    and hit ENTER
    It will now extract some files. THIS TAKES A FEW MINUTES. It will seem like it has stopped at
    Code:
    Inflating: DOOM1.WAD
    but it hasn't so don't worry.

After it is done (the last file it extracts will be SETUP.EXE) type the following:

Code:
    SETUP.EXE
    and hit enter

7. You are now brought to the DOOM SETUP WIZARD. This all depends on your system and if you are unsure, then i suggest just hitting enter through the whole thing. I selected Keyboard + Mouse for my controller type, but was unsure when it came to the sound. I hit enter through out the whole sound setup and received no sound problems when it came to actual game play which is a huge plus. So i hit enter 3 times and then selected
    Code:
    Save parameters and launch DOOM
    To quit DOOM (and DOSBox):
    Hit Esc key to bring you to the menu. Use your arrows to select QUIT then hit Y. You will be brought back to the DOSBox prompt. type
    Code:
    exit
    to leave DOSBox

To play DOOM: Open DOSBox.
    Type
    Code:
    mount c ~/doom19s/DOOMS
    and hit ENTER
    Type
    Code:
    c:
    and hit ENTER
    Type
    Code:
    DOOM.EXE
    don't make funn. I really hope this proves useful for people!!!

REFERENCES: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Play_Doom#Shareware_Doom
    http://legacywiki.net/index.php/Main_Page
    http://freedoom.sourceforge.net/download/
    Last edited by billybag; August 17th, 2008 at 10:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HowTo Install Doom

yes, but can it play doom?

edit: oh, and I've always been partial to the Enhanced Doom Gaming Engine (EDGE)

though that one can't exactly run the rickroll wad (I haven't figured out how to get that to work in linux. Its a zdoom wad if I remember correctly)
    Last edited by grossaffe; August 17th, 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nice tutorial, I still need to get my full copy of DOOM, I know it's laying around here somewhere.

Beans

Hey, thanks for the tutorial. Tried the first method but it keeps freezing. Tried creating an empty file /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg, but it still seems to freeze. Any other ideas? Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Despot Despondency View Post
    Hey, thanks for the tutorial. Tried the first method but it keeps freezing. Tried creating an empty file /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg, but it still seems to freeze. Any other ideas? Cheers
    I have the same problem too

Beans

Tried downloading lxdoom instead and it seems to be working, nut with a few errors,

1) can't maximize the screen

2) the screen is semi-transparent upon loading, though I solved this by holding down alt and scrolling the mouse wheel. see link http://http://ubuntuforums.org/showt...ghlight=lxdoom

Would still like to know how to maximize the screen, or even just resize it a bit, as it is pretty small at the moment. Forgot how bad I am at this game.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Personally, I do it like this:

Step 1: Check via Applications -> Add/Remove
    Step 2: If it's not listed there, check via Synaptic (GUI version) - easier installation and uninstallation
    Step 3: Download via the official website for the Ubuntu or Linux version and install it (compile if needed)
    Step 4: If still to no avail, then other methods as you've listed like DOSbox, etc.

Good job tho ^_^

Beans

Method 1:

create /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg

I can't create this file. I don't have permission.

Beans

Nevermind, I'm stupid.

Beans

Another easy way to play Doom in Linux:

www.skulltag.com, which not only provides full multiplayer for Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen, but is also fully available for Linux.

I fully recommend it, especially its Invasion mode.

All you have to do is put your doom.wad and/or doom2.wad (your choice) in the same folder as skulltag and you're all set.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast