Thread: Dual monitor with seperate X screens... Shared virtual desktops?

Beans

Question Dual monitor with seperate X screens... Shared virtual desktops?

Is it possible to have two X displays share the same set of virtual desktops?

I typically use 4-5 virtual desktops with one application maximized in each.

I would like to be able to share these virtual desktops on either of my two physical monitors.

This way either monitor could show a different desktop or they could be "cloned" by selecting the same virtual desktop.

I have tried TwinView (and Xinerama) which "span" a single desktop across both displays.
    I have also tried "Separate X Screens", which creates two unconnected sets of virtual desktops.

It seems like these options both give half of the functionality I'm looking for...

What I would like is to have something like the look of separate X displays but with shared virtual desktops.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Dual monitor with seperate X screens... Shared virtual desktops?

Hi all,

That's what I'm looking for too. Any way to get that working ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds like a great project. Do you know any aspiring doctoral students who need thesis material?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    Sounds like a great project. Do you know any aspiring doctoral students who need thesis material?
    LOL

I am sure you were not joking but, it came across as funny to me...I guess because I wanted to know how and do not know any PHD hopefuls.