Thread: Wubi installation slowness

Beans

Wubi installation slowness

Anyone other than me tried the Wubi install for 8.04.1? I've been running it for about 20 hours, and it still estimates about 5 hours to go. And this is before it even gets to the reboot step. It's at 80% right now.

I've searched the forums for wubi tags, and nobody seems to have reported this recently. The one person I saw that had a similar problem was beyond the reboot into Ubuntu, so I don't know if it's the same problem.

I tested my broadband speed (while the download was in progress) and it reported 2 megbits, so my capacity shouldn't be the problem. Is there a problem with whatever download site the install is using? Are there known negative interactions between the installer and AVG, perhaps?

Anyone have any ideas, or other threads to point me to that my searches may have missed?

Thanks,
    RockDoggy
    http://rockdoggy.com

Beans

Re: Wubi installation slowness

Well, it finally completed installing, and is up & running. Hope the slowness problem gets solved though.

-RockDoggy

Beans

I also was trying to install Ubuntu using Wubi -- I gave up when the download speed dropped to 3kb/sec. . What's the deal?? Does anyone know how to download from a faster server. I've downloaded an ISO of Ubuntu 8.0.4 as I've heard that you can install using Wubi from the CD.

Moved to Wubi forums.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Wish I had the answer. I just waited it out, and 20+ hours later it was ready to reboot. After that it was much quicker.

I agree, something is amiss with the download speeds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by aadderly View Post
    I also was trying to install Ubuntu using Wubi -- I gave up when the download speed dropped to 3kb/sec. . What's the deal?? Does anyone know how to download from a faster server. I've downloaded an ISO of Ubuntu 8.0.4 as I've heard that you can install using Wubi from the CD.
    change the country, or look my answer on the theme below...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898398

Beans

Well I am downloading it now and its moving pretty fast on an old laptop, its at 20% now and only started it a few minutes ago, time says to go about 15 minutes on my 7mb connection. So if it was slow, its better now.