Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't buy P45 chipset (especially Asus P5Q)

Beans

Don't buy P45 chipset (especially Asus P5Q)

It is COMPLETELY incompatible with Ubuntu. Nothing on this mobo (Asus P5Q) works with Ubuntu. sata problem, marvell controller problem, atheros problem...

Stay away!!!

P.S. F you asus!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Don't buy P45 chipset (especially Asus P5Q)

gdp77 I feel your frustration, that said, Asus did release some really cool umpc's with linux as the oem installed OS.

So hang in there, I think perhaps they will get more friendly with the linux community as time goes on, we made them a wack of money by making the Asus Eee the overnight success that it is.

Beans

This is more of an Intel issue, than ASUS since it's Intel's P45 chipset. I am surprised to hear it is incompatible, though.

To the OP, which version of Ubuntu are you installing?

Beans

Do you have any suggestions for a good alternative MB at about the same prize, then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by gdp77 View Post
    It is COMPLETELY incompatible with Ubuntu. Nothing on this mobo (Asus P5Q) works with Ubuntu. sata problem, marvell controller problem, atheros problem...

Stay away!!!

P.S. F you asus!
    I own the Asus P5K (Intel P35 chipset) and it works perfectly under Hardy.
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com

Beans
    Hidden!

At the moment the Asus P5Q-E a real pain to use =/ I get nothing but libata errors when booting up. Still some people report that they got it working, I'm trying to figure out what they do different. I'm afraid it may be the EVMS...

Beans

To the OP, which version of Ubuntu are you installing?
    8.04 of course. Tried both 32 and 64bit versions.

Do you have any suggestions for a good alternative MB at about the same prize, then?
    P35 works with Ubuntu PERFECT and is a very good chipset (very good o/c and stable as well). The only reason to buy P45 is if you need 2 x PCIE16x slots (for CF)

At the moment the Asus P5Q-E a real pain to use =/ I get nothing but libata errors when booting up. Still some people report that they got it working, I'm trying to figure out what they do different. I'm afraid it may be the EVMS...
    +1 mate. I am afraid that we are hopeless at least until 8.10 is released.

Beans

P35 works with Ubuntu PERFECT and is a very good chipset (very good o/c and stable as well). The only reason to buy P45 is if you need 2 x PCIE16x slots (for CF)
    Any chance you have any experience with the X48-chipset also?

What is the predecessor of X48 btw?

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 mate. I am afraid that we are hopeless at least until 8.10 is released.
    I do not understand the reports of people that got it working without errors, apparently. I've tried every combination of BIOS options I could find so far, tried with kernel 2.6.24 and 2.6.26. No luck. BIOS update did not change anything, either. I've spent more then 25 hours on the issue, without success so far. It's rather frustrating, after having checked the hardware for hours (onboard sound, network chip) and still tripping over an issue like this one (and not even having someone to blame =)).

Beans
    Hidden!

I seem to have solved the problem on my system, at least it has been running without issues for at least half-a-day so far and is letting me write this posting, which is a new record. A full 1 TB RAID-5 reconstruction also went through without hiccups.

Here's what you need.

1. Kernel 2.6.26-5-generic from Intrepid
    2. Correct BIOS Settings.

Set your BIOS to use AHCI, disable unneeded extras. I use ACPI 2.0 as well.

Installing the kernel is another matter. Compiling a backport is not recommended, as it is quite complicated - the binary packages for Intrepid should work fine. In short (I won't give a long explanation, as I do not recommend the faint of heart or new users to try this), easiest way to get it working is to update, dist-upgrade; then add Intrepid repositories, install the packages linux-image-2.6.26-5-generic, gcc (this will update to gcc 3.4) and nvidia-glx-177.

(Gcc 3.4 is needed, because the kernel was compiled with it and will usually reject modules not compiled with the same version.)

Once all the packages are installed, remove the Intrepid repositories and update again. You now have a new kernel, new libc with a bit of fluff, and new gcc installed. If you use ATI, you don't need nvidia modules, if you bought an ATI card you're <snip> in so many ways that you should stick to 2D anyways.

Do not boot with irqpoll. It messes up things again on my system and is not needed.
    Last edited by overdrank; September 29th, 2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: removed language

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast