Thread: xrandr and xorg default resolution and virtual screen size

Beans

xrandr and xorg default resolution and virtual screen size

Hello. I'd like to find a way to have a default screen resolution for GDM and new users that is smaller than the maximum allowed resolution accessible by xrandr, and I can't seem to find a way to do it. Here's what I've done:

I installed ubuntu hardy, and my CRT, which looks best at 1024x768 wound up displaying at 1600x1200. I can change my resolution using xrandr (gnome monitor resolution settings), but that doesn't affect GDM, or other new users on the system.

I tried setting the mode to 1024x768 in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but that leaves xrandr with nothing bigger than 1024x768. I'd really like a user to be able to select a higher resolution if they choose, but still default to 1024x768.

So I tried various methods of adding higher modes, or adding a virtual line with higher resolution, but these all result in having a larger virtual screen size with only 1024x768 visible. The gdm login box winds up off-centered, or if the virtual screen size is too big, it winds up off-screen.

I see several guides, like thinkwiki and on debian.org that give large values for virtual. Based on my experience, I don't see how that isn't making the gdm login box off-center, or completely off-screen like I'm seeing.

So, how does one make the default and GDM resolution something pleasant and accurate, while still allowing xrandr applications to increase the resolution if desired?

Beans

Re: xrandr and xorg default resolution and virtual screen size

I'd like to know how to do this too...
    I am not a lawyer...yet.
    Music Manumit Podcast - remixable Creative Commons music!
    My neglected blog: http://douglasawh.wordpress.com
    My website: http://opensourceplayground.org