Thread: Cracking a wireless network for the password

Beans

Cracking a wireless network for the password

Well first I want you guys to know that all I am trying to do is get into my friends network because when I go over to his house and log in to his network and ask him for his password he forgot it. so I need to be able to log in and just use the internet. I am not intending to do anything illegal because I do have his permission. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Cracking a wireless network for the password

You could just have him log into his router and change the password. Its probably easier than learning how to sniff wifi and crack encryption keys.
    GNU/Linux>Windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ilrudie View Post
    You could just have him log into his router and change the password. Its probably easier than learning how to sniff wifi and crack encryption keys.
    Im not sure if he knows how to do that and doesnt he need his previous password to change it or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by frog4044 View Post
    Im not sure if he knows how to do that and doesnt he need his previous password to change it or something?
    Generally if you just reset the router (there is usually a button somewhere on the router) it will go back to the default settings. You should be able to find the default password in the manual that came with the router or you can search the internet for the default password for that router (i.e. if you have a linksys router, you can search for 'linksys router default password') and something should pop up for it.

Your intentions could be to help your friend out, but you are asking the community to tell everyone how to crack wireless networks. A lot of people are uncomfortable about doing that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Generally if you just reset the router (there is usually a button somewhere on the router) it will go back to the default settings. You should be able to find the default password in the manual that came with the router or you can search the internet for the default password for that router (i.e. if you have a linksys router, you can search for 'linksys router default password') and something should pop up for it.

Your intentions could be to help your friend out, but you are asking the community to tell everyone how to crack wireless networks. A lot of people are uncomfortable about doing that.
    Yeah thats true and I thought it would be useful like if I'm at a hotel and need a connection so that wasn't the only reason, but the main reason is just to connect to my friends network so I'll probably just do that instead of cracking a password which isn't very important anyway. Thank you.