Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quake 2 & KM Quake 2 in Ubuntu (native)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quake 2 & KM Quake 2 in Ubuntu (native)

I had many problems getting native Quake2 to run in Ubuntu, and noticed from recent posts that several others were in difficulty too. Eventually I got it working. Like many things, its easy once you know how. The packages I used were not designed for Ubuntu. They were built for Debian & Fedora, and therefore a little tweaking is needed.

Prerequisites
    You must have a Quake CD, or some source of the original games files. These are proprietary and not included in the downloads.

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy (64-bit) with Gnome on AMD64. What follows works for me on this system. To install deb & rpm packages you need first to install 'GDebi' and 'alien' respectively from the Ubuntu repositories via Synaptic (admin section)

You must have an OpenGL / 3D setup. Check there is a file or symlink here by trying-

Code:
    ls /usr/lib/libGL.so
    If not, you need to sort this out before proceeding.

There are also 32bit versions of both games, but I have not tried them.

Installing Quake 2

Download the binary from
    http://packages.debian.org/sarge/amd64/quake2/download

The file is called quake2_0.3-1.1_amd64.deb This version of Quake has 4x3 resolutions up to 2048x1536 and wide-screen up to 1440x900

Double click on the .deb file you downloaded which opens the GDebi package manager and click on 'Install Package'.

Type quake2 from a terminal and answer y to the question. Quake will crash with
    recursive shutdown
    Error: Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx]
    Copy the data files from the Quake CD with
    Code:
    sudo cp -rv /media/Quake2/Install/Data/baseq2 /usr/lib/games/quake2
    Try quake2 again. You will probably get a garbled window. Close it quickly as I found it can lock up the desktop.

To sort out the graphics type in a terminal

Code:
    quake2 +set vid_ref glx
    The graphics should be all right now, but probably no sound. Try

Code:
    quake2 +set snddriver ao +set snddevice oss
    Sound should now be working.

To set up a launcher, right click on 'Applications', and select 'Edit Menus'. Add Quake 2 as a 'New Item' using the 'Command' string

Code:
    /usr/lib/games/quake2/quake2.real
    The icon should appear and Quake2 should be all set to go.
    If you get mouse trouble, try switching to SDL graphics in game, exiting, then switch back to OpenGL GLX.

Now Quake 2 is working, its time to try KM Quake.... http://kmq2.quakedev.com/screenshots.htm
    Don't download from this site. They are Windows only binaries!

Installing KM Quake 2

I found a Linux version on ftp://brebs.me.uk/fedora/9/
    The file to download is

kmquake2-0.19.2-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm

This is a Fedora package. Convert it to Debian/Ubuntu with

Code:
    alien km*.rpm
    This will create the file kmquake2_0.19.2-2_amd64.deb

Install it using GDebi as before.

Copy the data files from the Quake CD with
    Code:
    sudo cp -rv /media/Quake2/Install/Data/baseq2 /usr/lib64/kmquake
    An Icon is created in the 'Applications' 'Games' menu, but I found the command needs editing for Ubuntu. Right click on Applications, navigate to Games 'KM Quake 2'. Right click on it and select properties. Change the command to just
    Code:
    kmquake2
    Start KM Quake 2 from the icon and it should run, albeit in low resolution. This version does not have any wide-screen formats selectable within the game. If your screen resolution in not listed in the game's Video options then click on 'Places' 'Home Folder' and check 'View' 'Show Hidden Files'. Navigate to the .quake2/baseq2 folder and edit kmq2config.cfg I was able to set up 1440x900 by changing the values as follows;
    set gl_mode "-1"
    set r_customheight "900"
    set r_customwidth "1440"

Try the values for your screen here. Note, to bypass the intro video, space does not work. Hit [ESC] twice instead.

To get the most out of KM Quake you might like to download the high resolution graphics paks from
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/q2/

Download
    kmquake2_models.pk3
    kmquake2_extras.pk3

Copy them to /usr/lib64/kmquake2/baseq2 You will need sudo privilege to do this. Use sudo cp .... or sudo nautilus etc.

To enable extra effects like shadows, flares, waves, they have to be enabled in kmq2config.cfg first.

Note; save games are all incompatible between different types of Quake2. Quake2 & KM Quake 2 save games share the same folder and are incompatible, but KM Quake has extra save slots. If you are tired of disabling the Strogg Logistical train, you can start at any other point by starting the Quake console with ~
    Then an 'exec' command;

exec warehouse.cfg
    exec jail.cfg
    exec mine.cfg
    exec factory.cfg
    exec power.cfg
    exec biggun.cfg
    exec hangar.cfg
    exec city.cfg
    exec boss.cfg

[See original readme on the CD for more info on this]

Have fun! Quake is a great game, and once installed, I've found these native versions rock solid.

Pete
    Last edited by PeterBBB; September 12th, 2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: OpenGL

Beans

Re: Quake 2 & KM Quake 2 in Ubuntu (native)

Binaries may not be very compatible between distros - the toolchains are different. What people should be doing is spending a bit of effort in learning how to use their distro's package manager. Really. It's important. Then grab my kmquake2 .src.rpm and recompile it. Heck, I could host it, but it needs somebody else who actually runs Ubuntu to create the package.

The reason for those changes, after using "alien", are because Fedora doesn't use separate "/games/" directories, and uses a little opengl checker (which is why you need to remove "-wrapper").

I see no reason to run "cp -rv /usr/lib/games/quake2 /usr/lib64/kmquake2" - it would only mess up the libs that kmquake2 uses, if anything. Do not copy libs from one program to another.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi Paul, thanks for the comments. And many thanks for doing the Fedora port of KM Quake 2.

My original 'cp' didn't mess anything up, but didn't do what I intended anyway. Also I was under the mistaken impression that KM was a patch to Quake2 rather than a complete replacement. I've updated the original post to just cp the data files from the CD.

KM Quake2 is so much better that the original, so easy to install. If I had known all this at the start, I probably would not have bothered with the deb package of the original.

Your Fedora binaries are working fine in Ubuntu btw, the edit to the launcher only takes a few seconds. Seems to me any effort expended on compiling might be better spent on the latest version 0.2 Beta 3 which has the large maps enabled by default.

I noticed a few times that the game crashed after I got fragged. I realise now that is because I have games from other versions lying around, having noticed the comment in the source
    A single player death will automatically restore from the last save position.
    and knowing that the game crashes on loading an incompatible file. Both give error "signal 15".

I suspect this crash is because of http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=140121#c23
    rather than a build issue. The patch is helpful for developers, but perhaps should best come out from release versions?

Discovered a file was missing for kquake2. It can be downloaded from here,

http://qudos.quakedev.com/linux/quak...Dos-0.40.1.pk3

and placed in the baseq2 subdirectory. This .pk3 gets the menus working better. I was perhaps wrong in suggesting to start by editing km2config.cfg The new features can be accessed via 'options -> effects' or 'video -> advanced options' from the ingame menu. KM Quake2 is flexible regarding .pk3 file names. It just loads whatever it finds.

How are people getting on with KM Quake 2 under Linux? Over 100 have viewed the post, but only one has bothered to reply. Is it working fine? Problems? Still can't install? Too busy playing the game to comment? Would be interesting to know...

Pete

Beans

Hi PeterBBB,

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBBB View Post
    binaries are working fine in Ubuntu
    That's good, but a bit of luck is involved. I do encourage people to package apps natively, because distros change things, and maybe break things which a native recompilation would fix

latest version 0.2 Beta 3
    I took a look at the latest kmquake2, but the code has been greatly rearranged, and the Linux part of it is incomplete and broken. It would take someone with QuDos's programming skills to get it working in Linux. I'll try to contact him - lost contact about a year ago.

game crashes on loading an incompatible file.
    Yeah, it's a bit silly for these (slightly incompatible) game engines to be sharing the *same* savegame slots.

I suspect this crash is because of http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=140121#c23
    That patch fixes the tedious issue of savegames not loading after a recompilation, even if no code was changed.

An easy fix would be for kmquake2 to use ~/.kmquake2 rather than attempting to share ~/.quake2/baseq2/save/ with other incompatible quake2 engines.

Discovered a file was missing for kmquake2... gets the menus working better.
    That doesn't sound right. I'm including 2 .pk3 files for kmquake2 already:
    Code:
    $ rpm -ql kmquake2 | grep pk3
    /usr/lib64/kmquake2/baseq2/flares.pk3
    /usr/lib64/kmquake2/baseq2/kmquake2.pk3
    What's missing from those 2 files?

How are people getting on
    It's a "niche market" As with quake 1. Gaming in Linux is still second-place to Windows, even for ID Software.

But yeah, it's nice to get feedback. Hint hint to everyone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

"It would take someone with QuDos's programming skills to get it working in Linux."
    I don't claim to have much skill with C or Linux, but I've got it working here. I basically resolved all the build errors, sometimes with reference to your source (having built that first). Took me a day. Having built it, it seems to run OK, but I have not given it a full workout.

Edit: meant to say that by 'working', I just hacked the source to get it to build, and so far is has'nt fallen over. I suspect several recent linux patches are missing. If Qudos could be persuaded to look at the 0.2 source, that would be great.

"What's missing from those 2 files?"
    Menu graphics in QuDos-0.40.1 . Just drop it in and see. Its more important for 0.2, because there are streams of error messages if its missing.

I have 6 pk3 files now

flares
    kmquake2
    kmquake2_extras
    kmquake2_levelshots_hi
    kmquake2_models
    QuDos-0.40.1
    Last edited by PeterBBB; August 21st, 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: "working"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBBB View Post
    I've got it working here. I basically resolved all the build errors
    Can you upload it somewhere? Would be interesting to take a look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi Brebs
    It should now be available from

http://www.2shared.com/file/3912473/..._beta3tar.html

Let me know when you've got it, I'll remove it after a few days.

Please remember that this is rather a raw product. 'C' language and Makefiles are not really my thing (more Delphi if you were wondering), so if you find stuff that I have changed seems to make no sense, that's probably because it does make no sense at all! But please feel free to email me any queries on my changes.

The code had definitely forked BTW. Very few of the Gentoo linux fixes to 0.19 are in there.

I have messed around a little with difficulty level for skill level '1' in Combat & Weapons I think. You might want to take those changes back out. I was tempted myself, but I know if I start to polish this stuff, its just going to go on forever...

Pete

Beans

Well done! It compiles and runs. I'll try to get it into a packageable state.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Brebs View Post
    Well done! It compiles and runs. I'll try to get it into a packageable state.
    Iam getting this error when i try to run kmquake2.

rajeev@rajeev-desktop:~$ kmquake2
    Using '/home/rajeev/.quake2/baseq2' for writing.
    execing default.cfg
    couldn't exec kmq2config.cfg
    Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
    Attempting to initialize OSS sound.
    Initializing OSS Sound System
    Stereo: ^91
    Samples: ^932768
    Samplepos: ^90
    Samplebits: ^916
    Submission_chunk: ^91
    Speed: ^944100
    Starting Ogg Vorbis.
    OGG_LoadPlaylist: could not open playlist: No such file or directory.
    No Ogg Vorbis files found.
    ------------------------------------

--------- Renderer Initialization ---------
    ref_gl::R_Init() - could not load "libGL.so"
    ------------------------------------
    CDAudio_Init: open of "/dev/cdrom" failed (2)
    Segmentation fault

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nice tutorial man, thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast