Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel GMA X4500HD woes (Intel G45 Chipset)

Beans

Re: Intel GMA X4500HD woes (Intel G45 Chipset)

It looks like the cpu scales up. I started playing a 1080p movie in XBMC, and it went up to 2666mhz on one cpu core, but it doesnt look like its sticking to that clock ratio. I tried again, still playing the movie, and its back down at 2ghz (then it goes up again, and then back again, etc.).

(so far it has dropped 23 frames, but it looks like it plays this HD movie okay. CPU1 is 60-70% and CPU2 is 60-70%)

Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
    cpu family	: 6
    model		: 23
    model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz
    stepping	: 10
    cpu MHz		: 2000.000
    cache size	: 6144 KB
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 2
    core id		: 0
    cpu cores	: 2
    apicid		: 0
    initial apicid	: 0
    fdiv_bug	: no
    hlt_bug		: no
    f00f_bug	: no
    coma_bug	: no
    fpu		: yes
    fpu_exception	: yes
    cpuid level	: 13
    wp		: yes
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 lahf_lm
    bogomips	: 5999.31
    clflush size	: 64
    power management:

processor	: 1
    vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
    cpu family	: 6
    model		: 23
    model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz
    stepping	: 10
    cpu MHz		: 2667.000
    cache size	: 6144 KB
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 2
    core id		: 1
    cpu cores	: 2
    apicid		: 1
    initial apicid	: 1
    fdiv_bug	: no
    hlt_bug		: no
    f00f_bug	: no
    coma_bug	: no
    fpu		: yes
    fpu_exception	: yes
    cpuid level	: 13
    wp		: yes
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 lahf_lm
    bogomips	: 5999.58
    clflush size	: 64
    power management:
    I will try to look into it and try to lock them at 3Ghz. Any tips on how I do that, will be appreciated.

EDIT:

Okay, I turned off cpu frequency manager, and now its up to 2666Ghz on both, but shouldnt it be up at 3Ghz? Could it be something in the bios? Afaik I havent edited any cpu settings.

EDIT2:
    I just installed cpufrequtils:

Code:
    Report errors and bugs to linux@brodo.de, please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
      driver: acpi-cpufreq
      CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0
      hardware limits: 2.00 GHz - 2.67 GHz
      available frequency steps: 2.67 GHz, 2.00 GHz
      available cpufreq governors: userspace, conservative, ondemand, powersave, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 2.00 GHz and 2.67 GHz.
                      The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 2.00 GHz.
    analyzing CPU 1:
      driver: acpi-cpufreq
      CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 1
      hardware limits: 2.00 GHz - 2.67 GHz
      available frequency steps: 2.67 GHz, 2.00 GHz
      available cpufreq governors: userspace, conservative, ondemand, powersave, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 2.00 GHz and 2.67 GHz.
                      The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 2.00 GHz.
    It says the hw is limited to 2,67GHz, why? My cpu is suppose to be 3ghz. Anyhow, Im guessing its an BIOS issue, so I have to get in there to check. Im going to check that tomorrow (got to use my roomies usb-keyboard, all I got is bluetooth keyboard).

Thanks for all your answers. Will post back the results.
    Last edited by abandonow; October 29th, 2008 at 01:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abandonow View Post
    It says the hw is limited to 2,67GHz, why? My cpu is suppose to be 3ghz. Anyhow, Im guessing its an BIOS issue, so I have to get in there to check.
    Definitely sounds like something in the bios to me.

Quote Originally Posted by abandonow View Post
    Im going to check that tomorrow (got to use my roomies usb-keyboard, all I got is bluetooth keyboard).
    I have the same problem. Always hate having to find a usb keyboard to change thigns in the bios!

Beans

when will the intel 2.5 video driver be in the repositories as e deb package ?

Beans

About the cpu issue, it was a wrong setting in the BIOS. Running @ 3ghz now. Still problems with the HD reference blueray rip disk, but not with other movies. So I guess its either some settings of the encoding of hd reference disk, or an error with that file. I dont know. Doesnt look like its using 100% of both of the cores when I play it, and Im still loosing frames.

Beans

Anyone notice that these chips run hot? The one in my T400 dumps a lot of heat, and chews a lot of power.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by niklaskb View Post
    Did you get it working for sound over HDMI?
    Nope, only SPDF. However, I just saw the notice for the final release of 1.0.18; will try that out tomorrow night and see.

Beans

Well, I am still unable to connect through HDMI and only through VGA.
    when connecting through HDMI the beginning is OK and I see the mythbuntu load screen but then it lost.
    any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orduek View Post
    Well, I am still unable to connect through HDMI and only through VGA.
    when connecting through HDMI the beginning is OK and I see the mythbuntu load screen but then it lost.
    any ideas?
    More than likely it's because of a resolution detection issue. The system is trying to display at a resolution your monitor cannot support. I see this problem with both Vista and Linux with my Pioneer plasma at 1080p. For whatever reason, the Vista install uses a resolution my plasma cannot display; however, if I install it elsewhere and reconnect and boot with my plasma, the installed Vista detects a usable resolution. On Ibex, the splash screen can't be display on my system, so I just get a blank screen after the grub menu until the GDM greeter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thechump View Post
    More than likely it's because of a resolution detection issue. The system is trying to display at a resolution your monitor cannot support. I see this problem with both Vista and Linux with my Pioneer plasma at 1080p. For whatever reason, the Vista install uses a resolution my plasma cannot display; however, if I install it elsewhere and reconnect and boot with my plasma, the installed Vista detects a usable resolution. On Ibex, the splash screen can't be display on my system, so I just get a blank screen after the grub menu until the GDM greeter.
    I can see the splash screen but can't see nothing afterwords.
    How do I solve it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orduek View Post
    I can see the splash screen but can't see nothing afterwords.
    How do I solve it?
    That's because the splash screen uses a resolution that's different than your X session. At the grub menu, you can boot
    into recovery mode and choose the session with text root access.
    Look at your X log at /var/log. It should tell you what resolution
    it was trying to run at...along with all the other ones that it
    detected. By default now, your /etc/X11/xorg.conf is pretty much empty because of the autodetect. You'll need to manually plug in valid values for the resolution there. I'd recommend that you disable gdm from starting up during your recovery session, then boot up fully into text mode so that you can try different values into xorg.conf and manually startup X to see which one works before enablging gdm again.

The easiest away to avoid this trial and error process is googling to see if other people have an X config for your display and use their values....or if you have had X distributions that work before, load those and grab the resolution from those xorg.conf file or from the X log....oh wait, I just noticed that you said your VGA output looks OK with the same monitor. If that's the case, then you already a way to get valid values to put into your xorg.conf file.
    Last edited by thechump; October 31st, 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast