Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to GPGPU in Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arrow How to GPGPU in Linux?

What's the best way to employ GPGPU in Linux?

Another Q: Will OpenCL be coming to Linux or is is set to be a Mac exclusive?
    Acer Aspire 5920: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz w/ 2MB L2, 4G DDR2, 320G HDD at 5400RPM, nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 256M, 802.11n, Hardy 64-bit

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to GPGPU in Linux?

I know Nvidia has stuff for GPU programming in Linux -- http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

From what I have ready OpenCL is very new and is Apple only at this time. I am not sure if it will catch on for other OSes or if Apple will truly make it open at this time.

Beans

According to the wikipedia article on OpenCL, apple proposed it to the Khronos Group. So Linux might see some sort of Open Source implementation? libopencl anyone?

Also, it says that AMD adopted it for their GPU's. Perhaps NVidia will abandon CUDA in favor of OpenCL. Or support both? It would be nice to see a platform independent implementation for programing GPGPU supported by all GPU's. Perhaps this is it?

Beans

Don't know if anyone is still checking this thread, but NVIDIA does offer CUDA for ubuntu releases. I just built the 7.10 nvidia driver offered on the site and it worked flawlessly on my 8.04 system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Do someone know if a desktop environment team or Canonical plans to implement OpenCL in their next realease ( eg: JJ )? Probably too early to say anything about this ... I'm just excited to know if my preferred OS / DE will benefit of GPGPU.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Envergure View Post
    What's the best way to employ GPGPU in Linux?

Another Q: Will OpenCL be coming to Linux or is is set to be a Mac exclusive?
    OpenCL is a standard, it's already released.

Drivers will be available everywhere

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aeacides View Post
    Do someone know if a desktop environment team or Canonical plans to implement OpenCL in their next realease ( eg: JJ )? Probably too early to say anything about this ... I'm just excited to know if my preferred OS / DE will benefit of GPGPU.

It's up to developers such as nVidia and AMD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tux0r View Post
    OpenCL is a standard, it's already released.

Drivers will be available everywhere
    The first draft of the standard is released, there are currently no implementations available.

Apple will probably release the first implementation, hopefully NVidia will follow for both Linux and Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've recently downloaded NVIDIA's CUDA SDK. It's fairly easy to set up and to compile the demo programs that come with it. There are some cool demos, such as a Mandelbrot fractal program which computes the fractal live on your videocard, with the ability to zoom in etc.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast