Thread: Installing driver for wireless card

Beans

Installing driver for wireless card

I have just installed ubuntu 8.04.1 (noobie) and it recognizes my Atheros AR242x card but it doesn't appear to have a driver as it won't work. In going through the help section, I was directed to open the Ndisgtk packet to install the driver, but I can't find this on my system. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing driver for wireless card

"Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I did the above (going on line with a wired connection and putting commands in the terminal), but couldn't get past the first line. "install build-essential" could not be found. I went through the rest of the commands but it didn't work. I assume the driver could not be loaded because of the lack of build essential package. I looked in the synaptic package manager and couldn't find it there. Any other suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please go to Synaptic. Go to Settings -> Repositories -> Ubuntu Software. Make sure everything is checked. Make sure the server you select is at or near your location. After closing Repositories, press the Reload button. Then search for and install build-essential and linux-headers-generic.
    I went through the rest of the commands but it didn't work
    Indeed. Since you have evidently run 'make' unsuccessfully, after you get build-essential and linux-headers-generic installed, please amend the 'make' et al to this:
    Code:
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe ath_pci
    sudo reboot
    That will clean up any corrupted bits that may have been made with an improper 'make.'

Post back if you get stuck.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thanks so much for your help-it worked and I am amazed at the help the community gives, especially to a neophyte