Thread: Control of auto-run application when audio CD inserted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Control of auto-run application when audio CD inserted

I installed Rubyripper some time ago and after installation it automatically started up whenever I inserted an audio CD.

Now, when I insert an audio CD I get soundjuicer starting - perhaps this happened on the update to Hardy?

How can I get back to a state where Rubyripper automatically starts?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Control of auto-run application when audio CD inserted

Sorry, is this a difficult problem?

Is there no way to set which application runs when an audio disc is detected in the drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You can change that under System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
    You can change that under System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm obviously being stupid ... all I see in the Removable Drives and Media Preferences are the following tabs : Cameras, PDAs, Printers & Scanners, Input Devices. None of these tabs appears to have anything relating to a CD drive or Audio Disc.

Can you give any further guidance?

Beans
    Distro

Perhaps I need to treat this like a Windows system and just re-install in the hope that behaviour returns to that which I was happy with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bell View Post
    Perhaps I need to treat this like a Windows system and just re-install in the hope that behaviour returns to that which I was happy with.
    I hope it is not too late. To select the application which will launch upon Audio CD insertion just do the following:
    1. Open Nautilus and go to your Home Folder.
    2. Go to Edit -> Preferences
    3. Select the Media Tab.
    4. Select the type of media and the type of action you want Ubuntu to perform.
    5. Enjoy

Let me know how it goes.

Beans

Rubripper won't be available there, but it should be easy to set from various available methods.

The easiest may be to simply change the launch command of cd audio extractor to whatever the launch command of rubyripper is. (must only be changed in edit menus - sound & video -> properties of cd audio extractor.

Tried with grip - works fine (changed the cd audio ext... launch command to "grip" (no quotes

For all methods I've found to modify behavior of default media insertion see here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...03#post5633803
    Last edited by mc4man; September 2nd, 2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: grip example

Beans
    Distro

[SOLVED] Control of auto-run application when audio CD inserted

Many, many thanks mc4man. I followed your method in the other post - a rubyripper.desktop was already present, as was the mimeapps.list. I simply had to add 'rubyripper.desktop;' into the line for 'x-content/audio-cdda' and RubyRipper is, once again, selectable as the default app for audio cds.

This really does make life so much easier - the main use of this particular machine is as a media server hosting SqueezeCenter for my SlimBoxes and it lives in the audio cabinet in the lounge. Every time I come home with a new CD, the first thing I do is load it in the machine and rip it to flac.

So, thanks once again!

Beans

Depending on your usage you could try
    rrip_cli -a
    as a launch command. That would create a 'insert the cd and walk away' method which would be fine if your using the same config most times and doing the complete disk.

Edit; just tried it, works very well running silently in the background. Set rr up to r&e hq flac's and lower quality mp3's for a mobile, popped in the disk and it took care of all of it.

Note; I'm using Audio cd extractor's autorun place for the comm. That leaves rr's default launch alone for accessing the gui when needed.
    If you change rr's default then just make a desktop launcher w/ rrip_gui as comm. for setup or changes to config or just run the gui from the terminal.
    Last edited by mc4man; September 5th, 2008 at 07:38 AM.