Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Well, portability looks like it is still a ways off, mean time I came up with a highly portable, and very crude edition. You all are the pro's so I'm posting it here for some critiques.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # This script depends upon wmtimer, it is a crude script to log off a user after a certain amount of time.  Idea is all based on timekpr (https://launchpad.net/timekpr) , however they are more talented than I. :)
    #Now requires: wmtimer zenity
    time1=00:45:00
    time2=00:15:00
    time3=00:02:00

wmtimer -a -c -t $time1 -b & sleep 45m
    killall wmtimer
    zenity --info --text "You have 15 minutes left." &&
    wmtimer -color red -a -c -t 00:00:10 -b & sleep 13m
    zenity --info --text "Save your work! 2 Min Warning!"  & sleep 2m
    killall wmtimer
    pkill -KILL -u $USER
    exit
    I named it timelimit, and put it in /usr/bin then created a .profile for each user, and put timelimit & in the profile. It is crude, but functional for the time being. Any bash script improvements are appreciated. Thanks.

Shane

Beans

Loong time ago I promised to make an Archlinux AUR package. Well, today I uploaded the first version to AUR:
    http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=41435
    Thank you again for timekpr.
    z ʇ ı ɹ ɟ ʇ ı ɹ ʞ s u ɐ s archlinux
    Fireproof
    Never leave your partner behind

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi everyone!

Just stopping by to tell you that I have copied timekpr into the Maverick section of timekpr-maintainers PPA.

Get it while it is hot: https://launchpad.net/~timekpr-maintainers/+archive/ppa

Nothing has changes since the earlier versions, so I have not done any extensive testing. But everything looks like it is working
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi everyone.

As you all may have noticed, development on timekpr has been rather slow lately. Both Savvas/forger and I have had different things happening in our lives. In addition we recently became aware of a Gnome application called Nanny. We both feel that Nanny has a better chance of getting all the features we all wanted to be put into timekpr, and Nanny also has a lot more backing.

Savvas and I have decided that we probably won't do much more coding on timekpr. We both might drop by to fix a bug or two or answer some questions.

Thanks to all of you for your support, kind words and help along the way. It was fun while it lasted, it is time to move one to something different.
    Open mind, open source!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for all your work over the past few years, .nedberg. You have saved the sanity of parents all over the world

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by .nedberg View Post
    Hi everyone.

As you all may have noticed, development on timekpr has been rather slow lately. Both Savvas/forger and I have had different things happening in our lives. In addition we recently became aware of a Gnome application called Nanny. We both feel that Nanny has a better chance of getting all the features we all wanted to be put into timekpr, and Nanny also has a lot more backing.

Savvas and I have decided that we probably won't do much more coding on timekpr. We both might drop by to fix a bug or two or answer some questions.

Thanks to all of you for your support, kind words and help along the way. It was fun while it lasted, it is time to move one to something different.
    Ohh, sad to hear. I read about the Nanny project a while ago. I always liked Timekpr, very simple, straight forward and excellent! Thank you for the time and effort that you all have put into it!

Shane
    Last edited by shane2peru; November 16th, 2010 at 12:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro

ohh, I just installed nanny, and logged into my kids account, it doesn't seem to log them out after their time limit! I re-installed timekpr. Nanny looks nice, and I think it will get there, but I was a little disappointed to find it not logging out, or closing session after the time limit. I couldn't find any information on contacting or documentation for nanny. If you know where there is current documentation I would love to see it. Thanks!

Shane

Beans
    Distro

I don't think that Nanny is being actively developed. It hasn't had an update since May of 2010! That is almost a year with nothing. I looked on their web page, but nothing, I can't find any support for it either. It doesn't limit the time as I think I stated in a last post. With Natty on the horizon, I'm a little concerned about this whole thing.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    I don't think that Nanny is being actively developed. It hasn't had an update since May of 2010! That is almost a year with nothing. I looked on their web page, but nothing, I can't find any support for it either. It doesn't limit the time as I think I stated in a last post. With Natty on the horizon, I'm a little concerned about this whole thing.

Shane
    I'll set up a virtual Natty install and try timekpr. I am copying it to my personal ppa right now. If it works I'll make a copy in the timekpr-maintainers ppa too.

If anybody has time to test, please do so. I am rather busy this weekend so I can't promise anything!

You can find my ppa here: https://launchpad.net/~nedberg/+archive/ppa
    Open mind, open source!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by .nedberg View Post
    I'll set up a virtual Natty install and try timekpr. I am copying it to my personal ppa right now. If it works I'll make a copy in the timekpr-maintainers ppa too.

If anybody has time to test, please do so. I am rather busy this weekend so I can't promise anything!

You can find my ppa here: https://launchpad.net/~nedberg/+archive/ppa
    I was planning on upgrading to the Natty next week and would be testing it regularly, perhaps I will test it out on a virtual install before hand. I'm very glad, that even if improvements are not made it will be kept up. This is the ONLY app for such things on Linux and it gets used every single day on my computer, and has for a few years! It is absolutely wonderful. It is one of those things you install, setup, and forget about it, it just runs with no problems.

Shane

Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast