Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SliTaz - who's installed it?

Quote Originally Posted by mauud777 View Post
    believe me you will come back again to Arch
    +1
    The bleeding edge of Arch is your choice. You can either install by source of an older application, or install from pacman and have [Testing] disabled.

I really don't see why bleeding edge would scare you, as it rarely breaks or has problems.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    +1
    The bleeding edge of Arch is your choice. You can either install by source of an older application, or install from pacman and have [Testing] disabled.

I really don't see why bleeding edge would scare you, as it rarely breaks or has problems.
    My last upgrade had pretty epic breakage

I'm just in the mood for something new...

Beans

Actually, I think SliTaz is best run from the CD or a USB drive. Since its all in RAM, apps load almost instantly. As for the user, the "cooking" version now uses "tux" rather than "hacker". They've also added some more apps to the repo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by init1 View Post
    Actually, I think SliTaz is best run from the CD or a USB drive. Since its all in RAM, apps load almost instantly. As for the user, the "cooking" version now uses "tux" rather than "hacker". They've also added some more apps to the repo.
    SliTaz seems fast to me on the installed system.

Against my better judgement, I have Gentoo downloading in the background. I'll install it tomorrow (if I don't regain my sanity first).

Beans

I've been running it for about a month on my laptop

Things I like:
    Very fast boot times (<20 secs) and very responsive on a P3 with 128MB of RAM.

The OpenBox setup is very sleek. This is what I expected when I used Xubuntu. I could never go back to a full blown Gnome after using it.

The package management is nice as well, much nicer than DSL's in my opinion.

Things that I dislike:

Not enough packages. I don't blame the distro at all for this, it has a great amount of packages for a live CD distro. But for everyday use, I want more packages then are what offered.

Busybox. Again, I'm glad they use BusyBox when looking at it from a live CD perspective, but I really miss some of Bash's features (especially reverse lookup).

No tiling WMs! This is the biggest negative to me, and why I planning on throwing Arch on there when I get the time. Using the mouse to move around little xterms is doubly annoying when you are using a touchpad. If there was a tiling WM in the repository, I would probabaly keep using it.

All in all, I really do like Slitaz, and actually ran it for about a week straight in ram on my desktop, but I can't go back to managing my windows with a mouse.

Why do you find Arch to bleeding edge?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you tried TinyMe? I use it on my dad's old computer. There was some trouble with things like sound and internet, but it all works now and it flies. It's based off of PCLinuxOS and uses Openbox. I say give it a try

Beans

Re: I've been running it for about a month on my laptop

Quote Originally Posted by dmm1285 View Post
    Things I like:
    Very fast boot times (<20 secs) and very responsive on a P3 with 128MB of RAM.

The OpenBox setup is very sleek. This is what I expected when I used Xubuntu. I could never go back to a full blown Gnome after using it.

The package management is nice as well, much nicer than DSL's in my opinion.

Things that I dislike:

Not enough packages. I don't blame the distro at all for this, it has a great amount of packages for a live CD distro. But for everyday use, I want more packages then are what offered.

Busybox. Again, I'm glad they use BusyBox when looking at it from a live CD perspective, but I really miss some of Bash's features (especially reverse lookup).

No tiling WMs! This is the biggest negative to me, and why I planning on throwing Arch on there when I get the time. Using the mouse to move around little xterms is doubly annoying when you are using a touchpad. If there was a tiling WM in the repository, I would probabaly keep using it.

All in all, I really do like Slitaz, and actually ran it for about a week straight in ram on my desktop, but I can't go back to managing my windows with a mouse.

Why do you find Arch to bleeding edge?
    You could always install dwm - very few dependencies

I've used Slackware more thoroughly than any other distro, so I have very high expectations when it comes to stability. I experience problems upgrading on Arch far too often for my liking.

I'm considering sticking with SliTaz. If I can get my printer drivers set up, the graphics card isn't that important.

Beans

well, why did ya leave slackware? its one of favourites I am using mini-slack aka zenwalk at the moment. netpkg has improved a lot since old times

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sujoy View Post
    well, why did ya leave slackware? its one of favourites I am using mini-slack aka zenwalk at the moment. netpkg has improved a lot since old times
    I've used just about every Slack derivative out there. Zenwalk is nice, but it's getting pretty hefty (~500 MB for standard!).

I've remembered why I hate Gentoo. While Pkgsrc and FreeBSD's Ports have always felt elegant and powerful to me, Portage feels polluted and abused. Scratch this one!

I have an aversion to PCLinuxOS/derivatives, but I've heard enough good stuff about TinyMe that I'll consider trying it.

I'm going to tackle the printer drivers today. If I get them working, SliTaz just might turn out OK.

Beans

I've hit a wall with the printing. It's too bad, because I really like SliTaz as an installed distro. Ah well

Despite its reputation for bugginess, I've always had good luck with Fedora. I might go that route and just remove GNOME and OpenOffice...

EDIT: Fedora is burning as I write. NetBSD is the only other OS I've ever used that affected me more than SliTaz has - I'm actually feeling genuine sadness as I leave. This is disturbing...
    Last edited by cardinals_fan; August 13th, 2008 at 09:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast