Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gparted doesn't recognize existing partitions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: gparted doesn't recognize existing partitions

Bump bump bump
    Dell XPS m1530 | My Custom PC- Intel Core Quad 9550 | EVGA 750i FTW Mobo | 750GB Seagate SATA HDD | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Memory | Antec 900 Case | Antec 650w TruPowerTrio PS

Beans

Hi
    I have the same problem. Xp has installed and now functions without any problems (I did have a 'volume device' detected window pop up at every startup but I reintoduced my xp Disk and it loaded the necessary drivers/ files and so everything works great!) The real problem lies with linux. I have six or seven other partitions (three empty) dedicated to Ubuntu/swap/home partitions, another empty ex3 partition and an empty FAT partition. These were all origionally created under Gparted live cd. Since I changed the motherboard (now its ABIT for intel, the disk was prepared and operated perfectly with AM2 ASUS board) and all these problems have arrived. Windows started with ne reinstallation necessary. Ubuntu refused. I tried to install Ubuntu again and it failed when it tried to prepare the disk for partitioning. PSclos reported there was no available space during an attempted install, and Fedora claimed my volume did not exist! Now Gparted gives the same screen and message as reported by peaople at the start of this thread. How can I reinstall Ubuntu (or any linus for that matter) ?
    Mant thanks for any suggestions

Beans

Same problem here. I have a dual boot (windows x and ubuntu 8.04) and wanted a fresh kubuntu 8.10 install. At the time of manual partition, the application doesn't recognize hda, which has 4 partitions (windows, ubuntu, swap and data).

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I have the exactly same problm, just installing ubuntu 8.10, i when i get to the partition part, it dont recognize all my partition, just show the disc like if it were new!, the odd thing its that i can see all my partition from the nautilus and navigate it!

Beans

I have the same exact problem on a Dell M1210.

Beans

I have this problem too. Did anyone ever find a way round? I suppose not, given the deafening silence in here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Post your specs in detail. You will need some boot parameters it seems.
    You could try adding all_generic_ide at the end of your boot line in the Ubuntu Live CD.
    http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/...arameters.html

Adding all_generic_ide solves this problem. Thanks, Pumalite.

Beans

I'm having the opposite problem with Lubuntu 12.04, I have one big ntfs partition and 1 tiny 100mb partition and sees all kinds of non existent partitions, such as fat 32 and sda2 unkown etc.

I have a single wd 250gb drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Old thread closed.

@cdoublejj, please start your own thread for your problem giving full details of what you are seeing and what you want to achieve.

They are not non-existent partitions. They would be hidden partitions associated with Windows and which Windows would not show. I suggest you include a screenshot of Gparted, if this is what is showing your partition layout, with your new post.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12