Thread: Using laptop as a second monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Using laptop as a second monitor

I would like to use my laptop as a second monitor. I would like to have one desktop display on my computer's main LCD, and use the laptop to display the other desktop. I tried VNC, but that will only let me mirror what is on the other display. Obviously, my laptop does not have a screen input. Does anyone have any idea on how to achieve this?

Beans

Re: Using laptop as a second monitor

Do a thorough search on this subject as I remember reading about it recently. It was a very lengthy thread
    good luck
    darco
    Reason: no beans

Beans

What your looking for is x2x. It allows a keyboard and mouse to control another desktop. It will not, however, extend your desktop to the laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been using synergy for some time. Just like x2x it doesn't actually extend the desktop, but will allow you to share a mouse, keyboard, and clipboard across machines. It's also cross-platform so you can use it with Linux, Windows, or OS X. You can use Quicksynergy to configure it via the GUI. 'sudo apt-get install quicksynergy' I believe.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What he is meaning(as I see it) is to from another computer drag a vga cable and stuff it into the laptop and then make the laptop work as a second monitor.

sorry for bad englsih but I hope You all understand.

//Linus

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lusse View Post
    What he is meaning(as I see it) is to from another computer drag a vga cable and stuff it into the laptop and then make the laptop work as a second monitor.

sorry for bad englsih but I hope You all understand.

//Linus
    yeah i really am looking for the extending my pc's desktop to the laptop's display. I have been using synergy for awhile on my computers, and it is a GREAT app. it just doesn't really do what I'm looking for here. I have tried searching the forums, but i've had no luck finding anything on this subject. mostly i see threads about extending a laptops desktop to an external monitor, which i already know how to do >.<

Beans
    Distro

it looks liek xdmx is the what i need. getting it set up seems just a bit over me head though.

Beans

I am going to assume you saw this thread and its not what you need:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=2nd+monitor

darco
    Reason: no beans