Page 48 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

pytheas22: Thanks, I set my encryption password but it would still not connect, so I disabled encryption and guess what I got connected. Don't understand why encryption is causing a problem, but will investigate later on when I get home from work. Thanks for all your help, your a real star.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Dirk Raspberry: interesting that even wicd wouldn't connect you with encryption enabled. You may want to play around with different settings--for example, does WPA1 work even though WPA2 doesn't (they're both equally secure)? Does WEP work (WEP is not secure, but it would be useful to know whether it works)? I'm not sure how many different options your router gives you, but you might want to try playing around with as many as possible; hopefully you can find settings that are secure and that work with Ubuntu.

If not, we can try doing WPA authentication from the command-line, which is a lot of work but would hopefully solve the problem. It's also possible that using a different Windows driver with ndiswrapper would work better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

pytheas22 I'm now connected wirelessly. Thanks again for your help, patience and support it is really appreciated. In the end I had to change a WCID setting in "Preferences", "External Programs" tab, I changed DHCP client from Automatic to DHClient and it works. Don't actually understand what that does or why it works but when I get a minute I will research to better my understanding.

Beans

I am new to UBUNTU I was so confused as to how to get my wireless to work Thanks to this guide I got it working!!!!

This is GREAT information.

Thankyou so much. I will now be using UBUNTU for everything now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earle79 View Post
    um, dmesg is overwritten at each boot? or not?? unfortunately wicd is not an option either as i tried that earlier today and ended up having to reinstall ubuntu....couldn't never get it to connect. and couldn't get network manager reinstalled to working order.

yeah it has to be ndiswrapper, cause it only does this when i put it in /etc/modules and when i used your script....which by the way do i just delete that?? is there anything else i have to do to get that uninstalled?

it doesn't really have anything to do with the wallpaper i know. i was just explaining that it freezes really quick after login.
    I'm getting exactly the same problem with exactly the same card (D-link with W8300); using 9.04 and the ndisgtk/ndiswrapper combo from the Ubuntu CD/ISO.

Is there some way to have a script auto-run after gnome is done loading?

Beans
    Distro

malignor: yes, you can run a script after Gnome finishes loading by adding it to the start-up programs list in System>Preferences>Sessions. You need to make sure the script has execute permissions, and if it needs to be run as root, you would have to figure out a way to do that. Also, depending on exactly which commands you want to run, there may be a better way to do it than Gnome Sessions.

If you explain your particular situation in a little more detail and let me know the contents of the script that you find yourself having to run in order to get your wireless to work, I'll try to help you find a solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    malignor: yes, you can run a script after Gnome finishes loading by adding it to the start-up programs list in System>Preferences>Sessions. You need to make sure the script has execute permissions, and if it needs to be run as root, you would have to figure out a way to do that. Also, depending on exactly which commands you want to run, there may be a better way to do it than Gnome Sessions.

If you explain your particular situation in a little more detail and let me know the contents of the script that you find yourself having to run in order to get your wireless to work, I'll try to help you find a solution.
    Thanks, Pytheas22.
    Well there are 2 ways I can think of to tackle 2 different scripts, which can rely on 2 different wait conditions.

Way #1 - Set up a listener or dependency on the appropriate gnome process/services, and when Gnome has finished loading, run the custom script. This would be the most reliable and stable, and my preference.

Way #2 - Simply have the script run after Gnome. This would be experimental, but probably easier to implement.

=============

Script #1 - sudo modprobe ndiswrapper, then wait, then turn off ndiswrapper.

Script #2 - sudo ndiswrapper -i [path of driver], then wait, then sudo ndiswrapper -r [driver name]. This is preferred.

=============

Wait Condition #1 - 60 seconds (probably easier to implement)

Wait Condition #2 - when the interface (wlan?) is enabled... not necessarily connected, but enabled (much preferred)

=============

The reason I want the driver or module turned off is because restarting the system with the driver ready-to-roll is what freezes up Gnome (I think the driver and Gnome use some common resource). Also, once the driver is installed and running, I noticed it stays in memory even after removal, and I can still connect just fine.

Beans
    Distro

malignor: if you're using Ubuntu 9.04, you can set arbitrary hotkey commands using the utility at System>Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts. This means you can create a hotkey combination that would run your script. I'm thinking this may be the best solution for you, since it would allow you easily to insert the ndiswrapper module when you're ready. Otherwise you can just add a start-up program to Gnome Sessions (the start-up programs there don't run until Gnome has finished loading everything else).

As for the script itself, something like this would probably work:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i [path to driver]
    if (ifconfig | grep wlan0)
    then ndiswrapper -r [driver name]
    else sleep 10; /path/to/script.sh
    fi
    This would check to see whether the interface is "enabled" based on whether it appears in the ifconfig output. This maybe isn't the cleanest way to check, but it should work for your purposes. If the interface appears to be enabled, the script will ndiswrapper -r the driver. If the interface is not yet enabled, the script will sleep for 10 seconds, then call itself again to check if the interface has come up in that time.

Let me know if this makes sense, or if you need more clarification.
    Last edited by pytheas22; June 24th, 2009 at 10:21 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Let me know if this makes sense, or if you need more clarification.
    That makes perfect sense (I think in pseudocode), thanks!

I believe I also came up with another idea...

I found out that avahi-daemon and/or cups are what lock up during the startup - they even ruin alternate sessions. I think it's because the network management tries to use the D-link drivers, which are contained in an inf/sys combo that also contains drivers for alternate models, and something hiccups when it (trial & error) works its way through all the drivers in the inf/sys files. Somehow, this hiccup puts avahi-daemon or cups in an infinite loop (maybe it tried to use cups or avahi-daemon with non-existent hardware), which makes su-level operations impossible.

So I know, for sure that it happens at run levels 2-5 (rc2.d to rc5.d) at S50 (which is when cupsd and avahi-daemon fire up)

### IDEA ###
    Step 1: remove ndiswrapper from the list of modules, so it's not run by acpi or modules-init-tools.
    Step 2: from su-access, create a script for init.d to modprobe ndiswrapper only if cups and avahi-daemon are up and running.
    Step 3: use rc.d-update to make links late in the startup process (run level 2-5, around 80-ish)

What do you think?

### EDIT ###
    Thinking about it further, I think just making your script with sudo gedit, and then chmodding it to +x, and adding it to the scripts that run in Gnome, is a great idea. It's simpler, and it's realistic. Maybe one day I'll mess with the init.d stuff, but there's no big point to it.
    Last edited by malignor; June 24th, 2009 at 10:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

malignor: modifying the init scripts may indeed be a better solution, but I have to admit that I don't know much about that stuff. You could try it--it's easy enough to tell a script to run late using the update-rc.d utility--but I don't understand enough about cupsd and avahi to know whether that would solve the problem. I'm not suggesting you're wrong, just that you know a lot more about this than me

As for doing it with a Gnome script, that might also work; please let us know the results if you give that a try.

Page 48 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast