Page 46 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

These are the windows drivers I am currently using to post this:

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/...20080804,0.zip

Thank you for trying to help me out on this. If I can get this device to work, I would rather go that route. My other option would be to sell it to some windows guru and buy someting Linux-compatible, but I'd rather not go that route just yet.
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Please run these commands (you will need to be plugged into the Internet first; if that's impossible, let me know):

Code:
    mkdir wifi; cd wifi
    sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ###if the system says these packages are not installed, don't worry about it and just go onto the next step anyway
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    wget http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/WUSB54GSCv2_20080804,0.zip
    unzip WUSB54GSCv2_20080804,0.zip
    sudo ndiswrapper -i WUSB54GSCv2_20080804/Drivers/XP_2K/ndiswdm.inf
    echo ndiswrapper | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    Then reboot. After rebooting, with any luck, your wireless will work. If it still doesn't, please post the output of:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    ndiswrapper -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

An internet connection is currently not possible, BUT after looking at what you posted, I have my own workaround for installing most packages that has been working for me.

I'll post back with results in a while...
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Righty - so here's the report: same as before.

Code:
    jenkinbr@jenkinbr:~$ dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    [   14.635839] ndiswrapper version 1.53 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [   14.668996] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    [   88.547132] ndiswrapper: driver ndiswdm (Linksys, A Division of Cisco,10/09/2007,4.118.4.0) loaded
    [   89.709984] ndiswrapper (wrap_submit_irp:1161): ioctl 0022001F NOT IMPLEMENTED
    [   89.710004] ndiswrapper (mp_init:219): couldn't initialize device: C0000001
    [   89.710013] ndiswrapper (pnp_start_device:435): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)
    [   89.710028] ndiswrapper (mp_halt:262): device ddb48500 is not initialized - not halting
    [   89.710033] ndiswrapper: device eth%d removed
    [   89.710074] ndiswrapper: probe of 2-2.3:1.0 failed with error -22
    jenkinbr@jenkinbr:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    ndiswdm : driver installed
    	device (1737:0075) present
    jenkinbr@jenkinbr:~$
    Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Ah, that bit about 'error -22' usually means there's a problem with IRQ assignments. First of all, please go into your BIOS and make sure it's set to assign IRQs using ACPI. Second, try plugging the card into different USB ports, then reboot, and see if it makes a difference.

If none of the above helps, we can also try switching to the USB 1.1 driver, which may fix the problem (at the expense of slower transfer speeds to USB devices). But I forgot the syntax for changing drivers, so I'll wait to look it up until we actually need to go that route.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I will give this a try.

FYI - my computer doesn't seem to handle 2.0 speeds, so everything is 1.1.

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No and no. Same output each time.

Plugging the device directly into the computer didn't work eithr. (card works fine in windows, wouldn't be posting this now, otherwise)

Beans
    Distro

jenkinbr:Sorry that didn't help

FYI - my computer doesn't seem to handle 2.0 speeds, so everything is 1.1.
    Switching to the slower USB driver probably isn't going to help, then.

However, I did some googling and realized that there is a native driver for your device--I thought that none of the Broadcom-based USB sticks had native Linux support, but apparently that's changed since the last time I checked. Please try running these commands, and post the output (some commands may have no output), so I can see if the native driver will bring up your card:

Code:
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo rmmod rndis_wlan
    sudo modprobe rndis_wlan
    dmesg | tail -25
    lshw -C Network
    The driver site says your device should be supported, so hopefully this will work. Sorry for not suggesting it sooner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    jenkinbr:Sorry that didn't help

Switching to the slower USB driver probably isn't going to help, then.

However, I did some googling and realized that there is a native driver for your device--I thought that none of the Broadcom-based USB sticks had native Linux support, but apparently that's changed since the last time I checked. Please try running these commands, and post the output (some commands may have no output), so I can see if the native driver will bring up your card:

Code:
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo rmmod rndis_wlan
    sudo modprobe rndis_wlan
    dmesg | tail -25
    lshw -C Network
    The driver site says your device should be supported, so hopefully this will work. Sorry for not suggesting it sooner.
    After trying this and failing to get the device to work again, I've thorouly had enough with the WUSB54GSCv2. I went to all the local stores that sold computer components, wrote down product info, and then did some googleing of my own. In my googleing, I ran across this website which has a rather extensive list of supported adaptors. (you may want to pass that link on - it was vary useful for me. ) Two of the cards I researched were said to have worked, I went with the cheaper, 30 USD Belkin FSD7050 ver.3125 - works out of the box

As of now, I am considering the WUSB54GSCv2 as UNSUPPORTED, but I may tinker with it in the future (if I don't sell it first).

pytheas, I do appreciate all your best efforts to support me, and I thank you for it. I've learned that I should maybe do my research before going out and buying a wireless adaptor next time.

Beans
    Distro

jenkinbr: I'm sorry you had to spend more money to get your wireless card working on Linux, but I'm glad you found a solution in any case.

I was looking at the source code for the rndis_wlan driver and think it might have worked for your card if you had edited it manually so that the device ID of the WUSB54GSCv2 was specified. But that's obviously a lot of work and not a realistic solution for most people.

I will also bookmark the site you linked to. I wasn't familiar with it but it definitely looks like a useful resource.

Page 46 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast