Page 18 of 121 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Beans

Smile Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Works perfectly. Thanks a million, again.

I wonder why the old way quit working.

I've been fooling with this stuff to try to learn about it, but it goes pretty slowly. I get stuck every once in a while and have to find somebody start like you to get me going.

Thank you again.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Works perfectly. Thanks a million, again.

I wonder why the old way quit working.
    Glad to hear that. I have no idea why it would have broken, but I'd suspect that it has to do with some difference between 7.10 and 8.04. It's also possible that the Windows driver was changed since the last time you used it. In any case, the native madwifi driver should work better for you and provides more features (packet injection, reliable monitor mode, I think even AP mode, etc.).

Beans

My problem is that I have failed to even successfully install ndiswrapper onto my system. I cant get either synaptic nor the terminal to recognise I even have a downloaded ndiswrapper version 1.53. The terminal reports it cannot find ndiswrapper1.53 even when I CD its location

I read some where that ndiswrapper needs to be compiled before it is usable. Is this my problem? and if so how do I compile it? If not what am i doing wrong. This problem is driving me nuts.

My computer is a 2.8ghz Dell desktop running Windows XP and I access the net via a Netgear WPN111 USB adapter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Ex Amigan: it looks like you were not typing in the name of the ndiswrapper packages correctly--you were typing 'ndiswrapper-1.53' and 'ndiswrapper-utils', but these are not quite the exact names. Try running these commands instead; they should install ndiswrapper for you:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ndiswrapper-common
    That should do it. If not and you get errors, please post the terminal output.

Also FYI: I think that the Netgear WPN111 won't really work with WPA under ndiswrapper (it *might* be possible to make it sort of work with WPA if you try really hard, but don't count on it being reliable). It also won't work on 64-bit Ubuntu because there are no 64-bit Windows drivers available. So hopefully your router doesn't use WPA and you're using 32-bit Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

what if you can only find a .sys file and no .inf file? Is there anything I can do?

Beans
    Distro

hashime: I think you need the .inf file, although there may be some way around it if you try hard enough. But a .inf file should definitely exist somewhere, as Windows would need it in order to know how to use the driver. Which card do you have and what is the PCI ID?

Beans

Angry Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Help - I have spent days and days trying to get my wireless usb working, but to no avail - have followed your thread plus many others, but still can't connect.

I have ubuntu 8.10 loaded on an old pentium IV with a netgear WG111v2 usb pen.

Initially when I loaded Ubuntu it seemed to recognise the wireless network, and even told me I had connected but when I tried to browse the internet i just got 'page not found' for everything.

I then tried installing the win98 drivers direct from the netgear CD using Ndisgtk, and now it won't connect at all.

ndiswrapper -l returns

"net11v2 : driver installed
    device (0846:6A00) present (aternate driver: rtl8187)"

sudo lshw -C network recognises the device as network:1, and shows the driver I loaded.

iwlist wlan0 scan shows my ESSID:"Thomson74A99F"

it seems to see my AP and asks me for the key, but then tries for ages to connect, eventually coming back to me and asking for the key again. It does this continually until it eventually decides to give up.

I blacklisted the alternate driver, and also turned off IPv6, and changed boot grub to pci=noacpi as recommended by other threads. I have even tried loading the rtlsetup 8187 drivers from majorgeeks, but always get the same result.

I am very much a newbie, so I struggle alot with the jargon and need very specific idiot guides for everything, but have found your instructions very clear - so I am at a total loss as to what to do now!!! HELP!!!

Beans
    Distro

etherealethel: you may have better luck using wicd instead of Network Manager to connect to your AP. You can install wicd by running these commands (you will need to be plugged into the Internet via ethernet; if that's impossible, let me know):
    Code:
    echo 'deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wicd
    After that, launch wicd from your Applications>Internet menu. Are you able to connect using that?

If not, please tell me the output of these commands, and we can try other solutions:
    Code:
    lshw -C Network
    sudo iwlist scan
    dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan -e rtl
    Also, have you tried disabling security on your router temporarily just to see if you can connect then? This can be useful to know.

---

FYI: installing wicd will force you to uninstall Network Manager. If wicd doesn't work and you want NM back at any point in the future, you can reinstall it by typing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    Last edited by pytheas22; December 24th, 2008 at 05:59 PM.

Beans

Many thanks for your quick reply, especially this time of year!

I did actually try installing Wicd last night, after following some other threads. I used synaptic package manager to do it, and it removed network manager as you said... unfortunately Wicd couldn't see my wireless network at all! so I removed it and reinstalled network manager again.

Here is the output you asked for (with network manager installed)

lisa@lisa-desktop:~$ lshw -C Network
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: f
    bus info: pci@0000:00:0f.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 10
    serial: 00:10:dc:50:dc:c7
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 ip=192.168.1.67 latency=32 maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes
    *-network:0 DISABLED
    description: Ethernet interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: pan0
    serial: fe:aa:40:31:07:56
    capabilities: ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes
    *-network:1
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 2
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 00:18:4d:62:5a:51
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+net111v2 driverversion=1.53+NETGEAR Inc.,3/16/2006,5.12 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    lisa@lisa-desktop:~$

lisa@lisa-desktop:~$ sudo iwlist scan
    [sudo] password for lisa:
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:1D:68:0C:80:E7
    ESSID:"Thomson74A19F"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.442 GHz (Channel 7)
    Quality:65/100 Signal level:-54 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Encryption key:on
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
    24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
    12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0
    Cell 02 - Address: 00:90:D0:D7:70:96
    ESSID:"BTHomeHub-B4A5"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
    Quality:35/100 Signal level:-73 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Encryption key:on
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
    24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
    12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0

lisa@lisa-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan - e rtl
    (standard input):[ 17.091097] ndiswrapper version 1.53 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    (standard input):[ 17.642462] ndiswrapper: driver net111v2 (NETGEAR Inc.,3/16/2006,5.1213.06.0316) loaded
    (standard input):[ 32.868896] wlan0: ethernet device 00:18:4d:62:5a:51 using NDIS driver: net111v2, version: 0x1, NDIS version: 0x500, vendor: 'Realtek RTL8187 Wireless LAN USB NIC ', 0846:6A00.F.conf
    (standard input):[ 32.868952] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    (standard input):[ 32.869028] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    (standard input):[ 121.101077] ndiswrapper: device wlan0 removed
    (standard input):[ 288.588504] ndiswrapper: driver net111v2 (NETGEAR Inc.,3/16/2006,5.1213.06.0316) loaded
    (standard input):[ 303.841865] wlan0: ethernet device 00:18:4d:62:5a:51 using NDIS driver: net111v2, version: 0x1, NDIS version: 0x500, vendor: 'Realtek RTL8187 Wireless LAN USB NIC ', 0846:6A00.F.conf
    (standard input):[ 303.842632] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    grep: e: No such file or directory
    grep: rtl: No such file or directory
    lisa@lisa-desktop:~$

I do have a wired connection as have moved the pc downstairs next to the router. I'm not sure how to disable the security on the router, as it was installed as part of a TV/Phone/broadband package, and the provider didn't exactly provide much in the way of instructions!

I promised myself I wouldn't start messing around with this today - but just couldn't resist (how sad is that!)

Merry Xmas!

Beans
    Distro

etherealethel: I really think that wicd will get you connected. The reason that you couldn't see any networks before is probably because it failed to auto-detect the name of your wireless interface, but we fan fix that.

So first, please reinstall wicd.

Next, open it and click 'Preferences'. In the Preferences window, make sure the 'Wireless Interface' is specified as 'wlan0' (screenshot attached). Then hit ok, and refresh the network list in wicd. Do you see networks now?

I looked up the version of the Windows 98 driver that you loaded into ndiswrapper and it's supposed to work, so that's not the problem. That's why I think the best thing to do at this point is to try wicd again. But if that doesn't work, we can try some other things.

I hope you're enjoying the holiday too, and not spending too much of it playing with wireless cards in Linux!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 18 of 121 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast