Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Fix all PulseAudio-related issues in 2 minutes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HOWTO: Fix all PulseAudio-related issues in 2 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian9K View Post
    This is what I'm looking to do - simply go back to 7.10 sound. When I try this fix, I get error messages in sound setup saying that the device is already being used. Example:

audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open audio device for playback. Device is being used by another application.

I was toying around with the settings before, so that could be the cause of this problem. Is there a way to remove ALL sound handling and then install the things that were in 7.10?

Thanks,
    Kristian

PS: I'm on Mint Elyssa now which should be the same as 8.4...right?
    Kristian: I used to get that a lot because of some sort of limitation with Pulseaudio and system sounds that lasted longer than 20 seconds... In short, if I logged in while the "login ready" sound I had was still playing, it would crash the audio server and result in me getting that error within the sound control panel.

If you go ahead and change everything to ALSA and disable system sounds, and then reboot before doing the rest, all should be well.

Edit: Dammit, I just figured out what you were talking about. I followed the steps, removing pulseaudio and installing esound, and now my audio doesn't work at all with all the sound control dropdowns set to "ALSA". I get the same errors you do. I have to set them all to "Autodetect" for sound to work...

I wonder if somehow pulseaudio is still installed...

2nd Edit: I found a configuration file, /etc/asound.conf in my system. I renamed it to something else, and all is well.
    Last edited by bdoe; August 22nd, 2008 at 09:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have ubuntu studio 2.6.24-19-rt
    and I have problem with Audacity, but if I try to disable from synaptic pulseaudio,
    then ubuntustudio desktop will be removed too...
    what can I do?

@ προς απομάκρυνση = will be removed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rizitis; August 22nd, 2008 at 06:31 PM.

Beans

Just browsing around here and noticed this.

Related to the Gnome system sounds, on Debian at least this is what got them going:

By default libesd0-dev and libesd0 are installed with the taskel desktop and gnome-desktop tasks.

However, if one installs libesd-alsa0, aptitude will remove libesd0, leave libesd0-dev and the Gnome system sounds then play normally.

Perhaps the sounds for you guys were playing through PulseAudio but when that's removed there's nothing to play it like in my case on Debian with PulseAudio never installed.

Check out Synaptic to see what Ubuntu sets up for esd. That's esound, but the specific library files for the normal libesd0 I think are set to play through OSS (alsa-oss I guess). But since we all set everything to Alsa, one needs the alternative libesd-alsa0 to actually hear the sounds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you very much, this fixed my sound problems. Bizzarely, I still have system startup sounds, even though I followed all of the steps in the guide. I just checked and the box for system sounds is unchecked in the config panel, but it plays anyway. *shrug* I'm pleased.

Beans

Thanks to those who read my post and gave it thought. I got tired of messing around with the settings, then reinstalled and followed this howto... Now all is fine.

Multimedia handling in Linux - will it ever be as good as in the unnamaeble OS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rizitis View Post
    if I try to disable from synaptic pulseaudio,
    then ubuntustudio desktop will be removed too...
    what can I do?
    ubuntustudio-desktop is a metapackage. Metapackages do not contain any software but depend on other packages. When you install a metapackage, all the other packages it depends on will automatically be installed too. However if you remove a metapackage, by default all the packages it depends on will not be removed.

This means you can safely remove ubuntustudio-desktop without losing the actual content of Ubuntu Studio. The software itself will remain installed because it is contained in separate packages which do not depend on ubuntustudio-desktop.

When Ubuntu 8.10 is released and you want to upgrade, remember to re-install ubuntustudio-desktop before performing the upgrade. This will restore the default configuration and ensure a trouble-free upgrade.

Beans

This saved me a lot of grief. Thanks a lot. My laptop was gagging on my usb sound cards,for one thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bdoe View Post
    2nd Edit: I found a configuration file, /etc/asound.conf in my system. I renamed it to something else, and all is well.
    I had the same problems until I renamed my /etc/asound.conf .. This should probably be mentioned in the GP post as part of the instructions.

Many thanks, I've had skipping problems since I installed 8.04, and spent the last four months off and on trying to fix it... Now completely gone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    If you really want the login sound, you can do this:

Create a script file with the following lines:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    aplay /usr/share/sounds/login.wav
    Name it anything you like (within reason ). Make it executable.

Open Sessions Preferences (System -> Preferences -> Sessions)

Under Startup Programs you can add your script file to the list of additional startup programs.
    Irihapeti
    Genius !
    The truth is always beautiful, no matter how ugly it might seem at first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ashmew2 View Post
    Genius !
    Hardly a genius. I just enjoy tinkering with things.

Irihapeti
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast