Thread: Load_Cycle_Count in 64 bit Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Load_Cycle_Count in 64 bit Hardy.

Hello all.

Back in June 6th of this year I looked at the Load_Cycle_Count and it was approximately 4400. I looked at it today and it is up to 26993.

Now the increase was not until I upgraded to 64 bit. Does 64 bit handle this differently?

Thanks.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Load_Cycle_Count in 64 bit Hardy.

I think I found the fix.

I had changed my CONCURRENCY=none to CONCURRENCY=shell in /etc/init.d/rc a while back as some folks said that it is a better setting for a dual core processor. I changed it back and the count appears to be ticking up at a slower rate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That seemed to not fix the problem, the count is going up at a pretty good rate.

I still have a hard time believing that the hard drive is spinning down and up and parking the head that many times an hour. I have put my ear down to the drive on the laptop and cannot "hear" it spin up or down. Is this a 64 bit anomaly?

Please help.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    That seemed to not fix the problem, the count is going up at a pretty good rate.

I still have a hard time believing that the hard drive is spinning down and up and parking the head that many times an hour. I have put my ear down to the drive on the laptop and cannot "hear" it spin up or down. Is this a 64 bit anomaly?

Please help.

Thanks.
    There are countless, and countless, and countless threads about the "Load Cycle Count" in Ubuntu. I suggest you search for some solutions/fixes. There is also a "sticky" thread in the top of this forum named:
    Code:
    "[all variants] laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)"
    Sony VAIO SZ4 - Limited edition

MS DOS since 5.0, Windows since 3.11, Linux since kernel 2.6, OS-X since 10.4,
    and, last but not least, MS Minesweeper since 1.0