Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thunderbird Virus Scan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Thunderbird Virus Scan

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Depending on how the mail is stored, you can just run a normal Clamav scan on the files. Install the clamtk package.
    In my experience, Thunderbird stores all email in one large file. If a virus is found in one email, it will show the whole file as infected.

Beans

Last I checked clamdrib wasn't maintained (probably more than a year or two ago) to be operable with the newer tbird versions. I used to be happy to use it to protect my windows friends, when I forwarded emails to them. It worked great. However tbird is the email prog of choice for me and I have been "forced" to develop the attitude for some time now, that if somebody wants to use windows, they will have to be responsible for their own virus, etc self-protection. Unfortunate, but I'm not about to start running mail servers, etc to be able to run antivirus progs to protect anybody running windows. I have enough demands on my time as it is, to be continually updating my computers. Would love to find an effective, easy to use av prog to protect my friends though. cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This thread is still helpful! I had an email mess up my T-bird settings (yes, in Linux, twice!!!) -- so the last two days i've beefed up security. This thread was great! I had to find the clamdrib thunderbird extension online, then I opened up the the install.rdf file in the xpi and modified the maximum version number to match my version, installed it, then tweaked clamassassin's configuration as per your instructions voila! -- it works

I also found the Thunderbayes++ extension (also not officially supported anymore, not the latest version anyway) and installed that to beef up spam protection (the jury is still out on that one) and found a neat little extension called "Allow HTML Temp" -- you set your mail to view in plain text to avoid any scripts (like what messed up my T-bird settings, idk HOW ), then if you need to view an individual e-mail in html and are confident it's legit, you simply click a button to view that ONE e-mail in HTML. Way cool.

So all this was not too hard for someone like me, who is neither newbie nor expert. Thanks for your help!!
    "God is love" - I John 4:12

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It is, however, very old.

From the Forums CoC:

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123