Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 Monitors - Ubuntu 8.04 - Compiz Fusion - XGL NVIDIA Working! (Video Included)

Beans

Re: 6 Monitors - Ubuntu 8.04 - Compiz Fusion - XGL NVIDIA Working! (Video Included)

hmm thats weird, i did that before but it didnt work now it did! haha cool thanks! another quick question, how can i mod the compiz? just a dumb question

Beans

Re: 6 Monitors - Ubuntu 8.04 - Compiz Fusion - XGL NVIDIA Working! (Video Included)

As in more customization / additions than what is already available in the options? - goto http://www.compiz-fusion.org - tons of plugins, tons of different things available - you can go as far as compiling additional plugins and even some users have setup repo's to download some of them.. For example check out this cool (still beta) plugin for pushing windows around in 3d http://kdubois.net/?p=145

- Lots of info at that compis-fusion.org! check it out! As should everyone!

Thanks!

Shane Menshik
    D2 GLOBAL INC

Beans

thanks dude uve been a life saver! if there is anthing i can do for u let me know! I'm a network engineer and a few other things, not a grphics guy! this was my BIG step into flashy stuff! ive been the guy behind the server using a onboard 8MB intel vid card! haha spent allot of $$ on my new system! got 2-AMD Phonoms Quads OC'ed at 5.6Ghz each core and 4TB HDDs with 2 Top of the lin PNY 512MB cards as u know with 4-22' screens which u also know with 8GB RAM running Ubuntu and XP all HDD's are on a RAID system and have a 500GB for the OS's now the fun starts! again thanks a million for all the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Give to me?

Ill be your friend?

MY GOD I WANT!!

BAH!!!!!!!! How much was it all up and where did you get the parts?
    BRING BACK TEH PONIES!

Beans

I build computers for most of my clients and the totla cost of the system was about $1100 w/o the screens. screens i had laying around new in boxes, never sold them so they were free! i got the parts from ingram data and a few other places. these are commerical places, and since i have a company i get them at whole sale prices! but im sure if you go to like newegg or something it will cost around 1500 to 1700 to build

oh also forgot to say that its in an AnTec case with a 1300Watt power supply ill take some pics and post them later

Beans

Talking Re: 6 Monitors - Ubuntu 8.04 - Compiz Fusion - XGL NVIDIA Working! (Video Included)

Quote Originally Posted by wizekid View Post
    thanks dude uve been a life saver! if there is anthing i can do for u let me know! I'm a network engineer and a few other things, not a grphics guy! this was my BIG step into flashy stuff! ive been the guy behind the server using a onboard 8MB intel vid card! haha spent allot of $$ on my new system! got 2-AMD Phonoms Quads OC'ed at 5.6Ghz each core and 4TB HDDs with 2 Top of the lin PNY 512MB cards as u know with 4-22' screens which u also know with 8GB RAM running Ubuntu and XP all HDD's are on a RAID system and have a 500GB for the OS's now the fun starts! again thanks a million for all the help!
    Nice setup! No problem on the help its the least we can do around here to give back to the community since we spend a lot of time in these forums! I'll keep you in the loop when we open our blog up w/ more of these nice little projects! I'm sure as time goes on this post will help others as well!

Enjoy your new desktop visuals! You will get spoiled in no time and hate it when you have to use a windows computer! Not only does it look good by the 3d desktop and organizational options of compiz make it really productive! It the best thing to happen to my multiple screen setups since I started building them out using windows 98/2000!

See ya!

Shane Menshik
    D2 GLOBAL INC

Beans

cool, looking foward to it! hey if u need webspace or anything let me know! i have servers all over the world! for a total of 57 dedicated servers! a few GB's wont do no harm!

Beans

Talking Re: 6 Monitors - Ubuntu 8.04 - Compiz Fusion - XGL NVIDIA Working! (Video Included)

Quote Originally Posted by RedPandaFox View Post
    Give to me?

Ill be your friend?

MY GOD I WANT!!

BAH!!!!!!!! How much was it all up and where did you get the parts?
    The 6 screen system we have listed here was built by us - all of the parts can be purchased from newegg.com - but keep in mind this system was built back in Feb - and I cant recall what the total cost was at the time but I do know that 3 months later it had dropped probably $1000 from what it cost originally.. But thats computers and we built it to test vista then compare that with the latest builds of ubuntu - Needless to say you can see ubuntu won and we are in the process of migrating several clients to linux systems and I'm going to start a tally board to keep track of the number of windows workstations we eliminate / kill - I consider myself a new general in this battle to eliminate windows from the desktop!

Oh and now this machine shown in the video is my personal workstation

Shane Menshik
    D2 GLOBAL INC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wizekid View Post
    cool, looking foward to it! hey if u need webspace or anything let me know! i have servers all over the world! for a total of 57 dedicated servers! a few GB's wont do no harm!
    Thanks for the offer! I'm also a systems engineer and use this 6 screen system to configure / manage / monitor most of our servers and virtual servers in our data-centers and clients data-centers - so you will really enjoy the benefits of having all that desktop real-estate when you have to monitor / configure so many things at once

Shane Menshik
    D2 GLOBAL INC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    The 6 screen system we have listed here was built by us - all of the parts can be purchased from newegg.com - but keep in mind this system was built back in Feb - and I cant recall what the total cost was at the time but I do know that 3 months later it had dropped probably $1000 from what it cost originally.. But thats computers and we built it to test vista then compare that with the latest builds of ubuntu - Needless to say you can see ubuntu won and we are in the process of migrating several clients to linux systems and I'm going to start a tally board to keep track of the number of windows workstations we eliminate / kill - I consider myself a new general in this battle to eliminate windows from the desktop!

Oh and now this machine shown in the video is my personal workstation

Shane Menshik
    D2 GLOBAL INC
    Newegg dosnt ship to Australia
    BRING BACK TEH PONIES!

Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast