Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is Kubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

How is Kubuntu?

Hey all,

i am sure that this thread exists somewhere on the forums already, but i can't find it; maybe i am going blind. I apologize for the reposting. A link would be helpful...

Anyway, basically, i was wondering if somebody who has used Kubuntu could share their experiences with me.

I started using GNU/Linux a little over a year ago with Mandrake, but is was just too... well, buggy. Things would just crash, my video card never worked right, and rpms were not that nice.

So, i switched to Ubuntu, and fell in love. Except for a few small issues, things work like the documentation says they will (and apt is way better than urpmi, IMHO), and the community support is wonderful.

However, i really liked some of the KDE apps (k3b, amarok, among others) more than their Gnome alternatives. I also liked the way it is laid out in general, but i can tweak that on my own. I have tried to install some of my favorites for KDE and run them on the Gnome desktop, but they usually do not work right, and i don't want to spend the time tweaking if simply using Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu when i upgrade to 5.10 will solve these issues. Besides, the KDE fonts look funny in gnome. Again, an easy tweak, but a pain.

Basically, i want to go back to KDE. My questions then, are these:

Was the buggy experience i had in Mandrake because of Mandrake or KDE? Is Kubuntu buggy?

Does Kubuntu, as a sub-branch of Ubuntu, have the wonderfully integrated packages and (on a smaller scale) friendly support that Ubuntu proper does or is it a red-headed stepchild?

Should i instead head over to debian itself for KDE?

Is it worth switching to Kubuntu?

Thanks in advance to anybody who answers this.

Take care
    mat
    The meaning of human existence: try to make order, make chaos and then try to repair order, repeat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: How is Kubuntu?

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Just try it for yourself. Kubuntu works great, it's all about preference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed, both work fine. Even though I used to be a KDE kinda guy, I've grown to like GNOME quite a bit, but do miss using the apps like Amarok in their native environment Either way, Kubuntu is just as kool

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

yeah, they're built on the same system, all you have to do is apt-get install it like Orunitia said. I think you'll be pleased. The kubuntu team has even done wonders with taking all the control panels and making them easier to use. See my thread "So I apoligize..." which I wrote after I realized how awesome Kubuntu is. Still not my #1 choice, but I do like it.

Beans

all this kde talk is makeing me want to try it again.
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans

Kubuntu has the worst KDE I've ever used. See my topic about it:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88484

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

one man's opinion. I find it to be better than any, with the possible exception of just plain KDE with no enhancements.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    one man's opinion. I find it to be better than any, with the possible exception of just plain KDE with no enhancements.
    So, you're using another Kubuntu, then
    I don't want to argue, but see the Kubuntu forums. The bugs are well known, so they are not discovered by me. Even some of the devs admit it and say that "there is a lots of work on Kubuntu's KDE to make it bug free"

So, really a looooots of work I can say...

Beans

little buggy at first so I have kde and gnome but with updates and k7 kernel it's quite good

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sure it's buggy, but the implementation and design ideas are great. The only KDE implementation I have used that didn't have a lot of bugs was straight up KDE with no real modifications.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast