Thread: Cedega Questions

Beans

Cedega Questions

Hey, Im thinking of buying Cedega and im not sure if its actually worth the money.

i don't like the idea of having to have a subscription, does this mean the program wont work after your subscription runs out?

Does anyone actually use cedega , is it actually any good??

it would be easier just to do a dual boot right?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Cedega Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Darkchef View Post
    i don't like the idea of having to have a subscription, does this mean the program wont work after your subscription runs out?
    No, once your subscription ends you just can't continue to download updates, but the software will still work. Subscription to Cedega means that you'll have the latest version.

In the Cedega site you can see reviews of games by users so you can check about functionality there.

I also wanted to buy cedega but then I began to think... well I'm not such a hard core gamer in the PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hi,
    I use Cedega for playing my games on Linux.
    The latest versions of the ATI drivers and WINE have a problem with each other, which basically means no 3D games run well at all.
    But with Cedega, I have no problems. Right now on my Cedega, I have:
    - Warcraft III, and its expansion, The Frozen Throne.
    - World of Warcraft, and its expansion, The Burning Crusade.
    - Steam, running Counter Strike 1.6, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Deathmatch, and Team Fortress 2.
    - Need for Speed Carbon.

And they're all working fine, unlike when I tried with WINE, where it crashes, sometimes taking the X Server with it too :/

Plus the Cedega GUI makes a great launcher for native Linux games too, since all games (Win or native) will all be launched from one program

Beans

Trust me.. You are better off Dual booting Windows XP for gaming... I mean...
    Cedega isn't flawless, Yes alot of games will run, But im yet to see any that run perfect. Alot of the time you can get your fav game to run well in Cedega, But you may not be able to Play the Game Online, or it may have issues with Punkbuster etc

Its insaine to pay a subscription JUST to be able to play your games when you can just dual boot xp and have them run without any issues.
    Something to think about....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Don't these emulators use more cpu anyway?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by symon1980 View Post
    Trust me.. You are better off Dual booting Windows XP for gaming... I mean...
    Cedega isn't flawless, Yes alot of games will run, But im yet to see any that run perfect. Alot of the time you can get your fav game to run well in Cedega, But you may not be able to Play the Game Online, or it may have issues with Punkbuster etc

Its insaine to pay a subscription JUST to be able to play your games when you can just dual boot xp and have them run without any issues.
    Something to think about....
    I agree with this part.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cedega is terrible, just use Wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    Hi,
    I use Cedega for playing my games on Linux.
    The latest versions of the ATI drivers and WINE have a problem with each other, which basically means no 3D games run well at all.
    But with Cedega, I have no problems. Right now on my Cedega, I have:
    - Warcraft III, and its expansion, The Frozen Throne.
    - World of Warcraft, and its expansion, The Burning Crusade.
    - Steam, running Counter Strike 1.6, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Deathmatch, and Team Fortress 2.
    - Need for Speed Carbon.

And they're all working fine, unlike when I tried with WINE, where it crashes, sometimes taking the X Server with it too :/

Plus the Cedega GUI makes a great launcher for native Linux games too, since all games (Win or native) will all be launched from one program
    Wine runs* nearly all of those games flawlessly on most machines, the exception being Need for Speed Carbon.

Use Wine unless you absolutely need Cedega for something.
    Last edited by kdorf; August 12th, 2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
    People will be much more willing to help you if you ask smart questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kdorf View Post
    Wine nearly all of those games flawlessly on most machines, the exception being Need for Speed Carbon.

Use Wine unless you absolutely need Cedega for something.
    Yeah, Cedega doesn't really work all that well.

Beans

Really it comes down to which windows game(s) you want to use under a Linux distro' or Mac OS-X for that matter.

If you are a hard core gamester, that wants to play lots of windows games & be on the cutting edge with new games, then you have no alternative than to use windows to do it.

If you have only one or three games that you expect will satisfy you for many months or more, then research the forum, ask the question if no one else has & find out which variety of Wine (as Cedega & Crossover are both basically based on Wine, though Cedega pays for copy protection rights) is the one that works for each of your games.

Don't, what ever you do, forget about Codeweavers' Crossover Games, as they support Wine to the point that they are the Wine team doing Crossover for their mortgage.

Transgaming's Cedega is the only option for some games, though forget about support in any way shape or form, unless you email them that you are quitting them due to lack of support...

Wine is improving every day. It is usually not as easy as the previous two are to set your game up with, (if of course your particular game is supported by either Cedega or Crossover) though that is improving everyday too.

The Wine sub-forum here is a great place for support.