Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Replace metacity by xfwm4

Beans

Re: Replace metacity by xfwm4

Quote Originally Posted by majikstreet
    I'd like to see a screenshot, if possible.
    http://www.nordita.dk/~theine/images/Screenshot.png

Beans

that's good looking!

-m

manicka Guest

I like this alot, but I've lost some handy keyboard shortcuts like hitting PrintScrn and alt-PrintScrn to take snapshots. Any way to get them back. I'm a bit of a novice with xfce.
    Last edited by manicka; November 13th, 2005 at 12:54 AM.

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by manicka
    I like this alot, but I've lost some handy keyboard shortcuts like hitting PrintScrn and alt-PrintScrn to take snapshots. Any way to get them back. I'm a bit of a novice with xfce.
    Okay, so a workaround is to create some custom launchers on the panel, but I'd really like to add some of these keyboard shortcutsback in

Same here, I miss my keyboard shortcuts to show the desktop and open a terminal.
    Wierd thing is I still have one of my keyboard shortcuts working (CTRL + ALT + L to lock screen)

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Same here, I miss my keyboard shortcuts to show the desktop and open a terminal.
    Wierd thing is I still have one of my keyboard shortcuts working (CTRL + ALT + L to lock screen)
    Yes, and alt-f2 works as well. There must be away to configure some more

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Replace metacity by xfwm4

You can try to install xbindkeys and included it in you session startup programs.

Under a terminal, write:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbindkeys xbindkeys-config
    after that, go to (on the gnome-panel) System/Preferences/Sessions and add it to the Startup Programs tab.

Then run
    Code:
    xbindkeys-config
    and make your configurations.

During that same session you're in, run
    Code:
    xbindkeys
    to get the shortcuts working.

Next time you reboot, you'll have your shortcuts available, since xbindkeys is starting up automatically.

Hope this helps.

manicka Guest

Thanks henriquemaia

manicka Guest

One more thing I've noticed that is a killer for me.

I use klipper. When klipper runs with xfwm4 as the window manger, it's icon doesn't appear in the systray, just two lines. If I fiddle around and click in just the right spot, klipper's menu appears, so it's still running, but it's to fiddly to use on a permanent basis.

This is the only thing stopping me from changing over to xfwm4. I wish gnome had something comparable to klipper.

Edit: The only thing stoppping me is an inane dependence on klipper, a program I use when I need to copy 3 or 4 things to the clipboard and then use them in another doc. Tomboy can do this for me just as effectively and probably a bit better in my context.

Combining xfwm4 with the latest clearlooks patch has given me the nicest desktop I've had in ages. I think I'll post a screenie in the gallery.
    Last edited by manicka; November 13th, 2005 at 09:14 AM.

Beans

Just to repeat myself, to configure the shortcuts you can also run xfce-setting-show, go to window manager settings (bottom left corner), keyboard and add the command you need
    "gnome-screenshot" and press "Print"
    "gnome-screenshot --window" with alt+print
    "xfce4-taskmanager" with Control+Alt+Delete
    "gnome-terminal" with Control+Alt+T
    "gnome-panel-control --run-dialog" with Alt+F2
    and so on..
    I still don't know how to show the desktop
    Last edited by Bitmastro; November 13th, 2005 at 10:27 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast