Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Replace metacity by xfwm4

Beans

Re: Replace metacity by xfwm4

OK, an update. I fully installed kde, and i can configure window settings with the control panel. ( sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop ) I'm pretty sure that just KDE-base should net the same results without all the extra baggage of the whole desktop. I'll do that later once I'm done learning how this is gonna work.

The transparency for kwin seems to not work in this configuration, however, there is still something else drawing my desktop. It's not nautilus, as I have unchecked the draw desktop setting. I have no menu's on desktop click either.

BTW, the nohup command is a temporary way to do this, and I thought it prudent to not make a full out change until I was sure that the bugs were out and that it would work, I'm pretty sure that it can be made permanent in the GDM. Poofyhairguy has a thread for enlightenment under gnome which is where I will start if/when I want to go permanent with this.

Beans

OK, here's the way, seems to work peachy. on a fresh install of ubunto, I did a failsafe terminal, edited /etc/apt/sources.list and removed the commented lines. then apt-get update, and apt-get upgrade.

Installed kde core ( apt-get install kde-core ) and then exited.
    logged into kde from the menu, kde did it's little setup thing and I logged out. Login to gnome, I did not make it the default when it asked, opened a terminal and did the nohup kwin --replace &
    metastrocity exited and kwin came up. logged out and checked save settings. Logged back in again, (I was not asked for default, so it was still set for last, I assume) and gnome started up, with kwin running.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HeartBT
    Login to gnome, I did not make it the default when it asked, opened a terminal and did the nohup kwin --replace &
    metastrocity exited and kwin came up. logged out and checked save settings. Logged back in again, (I was not asked for default, so it was still set for last, I assume) and gnome started up, with kwin running.
    Actually, instead of the "nohup kwin --replace", etc. procedure, you can also set the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable to kwin instead of xfwm4 (as in my original post), i.e.

Code:
    echo export WINDOW_MANAGER=kwin >> ~/.gnomerc
    This is a bit cleaner IMHO.

Regards,
    Tobi

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I really like it, I'm using it now, but it seems to be a bit slow while dragging windows. Anybody know why?
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by detyabozhye
    I really like it, I'm using it now, but it seems to be a bit slow while dragging windows. Anybody know why?
    If you drag windows on top of the wallpaper, then the application thats drawing it has to work harder. Are you using Nautilus or xfdesktop for your wallpaper?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm using Nautilus, but it's ok over the desktop, it gets kinda slow over Opera, I think it was faster when I had the composite manager on, but I disabled it because it messed with my DVD playback.
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It's strange that there hasn't been a post for more than a year now in here.

anyway I tried this tutorial a few weeks ago with Edgy and everything worked great. Now I have Feisty and there is a problem. The effect works alright but the splash screen hangs on too long. So I login into and while I start applications the splash screen is still there. It goes away after a while. My guess is that it's loading some stuff. I don
    t know what though. I went to the Sessions settings and tried to see what else it's loading. I took out Network Manager, but that didn't help.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papercuts View Post

anyway I tried this tutorial a few weeks ago with Edgy and everything worked great. Now I have Feisty and there is a problem. The effect works alright but the splash screen hangs on too long. So I login into and while I start applications the splash screen is still there. It goes away after a while. My guess is that it's loading some stuff. I don
    t know what though. I went to the Sessions settings and tried to see what else it's loading. I took out Network Manager, but that didn't help.

The step in the original HOWTO post which says to change the "/usr/bin/gnome-wm" file using this 'sed' command:

Code:
    sudo sed -i "s/openbox)/openbox|xfwm4)/" /usr/bin/gnome-wm
    is no longer valid because the gnome-wm file is different now.

For Feisty, you can run this modified 'sed' command:

Code:
    sudo sed -i "s/openbox/openbox|xfwm4/" /usr/bin/gnome-wm
    so that the original text:

Code:
        openbox|enlightenment|e16)
    becomes

Code:
        openbox|xfwm4|enlightenment|e16)
    Or, you can simply make the changes by directly editing the file using a text editor such as 'gedit'.

That should fix the symptoms you describe.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by papercuts View Post

Thanks! I too have the same problem. But unfortunately the long waiting for the splash happens only in ubuntu. I have ubuntu and gentoo sharing the same home and same settings for all the applications. In Gentoo the loading is very quick with the splash taking no time at all. Any one has any clues ? I was thinking it was my problem ( I mean I was doing some thing really stupid ) .. Any ideas ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanraj83 View Post
    Any ideas ?
    Yeah.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast