Thread: ERROR: ata1.00 FAILED TO IDENTIFY

Beans

SOLVED: ERROR: ata1.00 FAILED TO IDENTIFY

Ok all you hardware uber geeks, I am stuck and need your help.

I recently wiped 7.04 and installed 8.04 on my storage/printer server. The install failed trying to boot the live CD, drops me out to busybox with the following error over and over again:
    ata1.00 FAILED TO IDENTIFY (I/O ERROR. ERR_MASK=0X4)
    failed to recover some devices
    unable to find a medium containing a live file system

After a fair amount of searches I found out that the Dell Vostro's suffer from this same issue and there are two workarounds. You can change your Bios Sata type to RAID (even if you don't have a raid) or you can add all_generic_ide to the grub menu.lst file. The bios option did not appear to work (I don't have a dell, it's an asus A8V-MX motherboard) so I added the line to grub. This got me through the install and everything. I started to copy all my data from one sata drive to the other (about 320ish GB) and it is telling me that I will need to wait 44hours!!!!!! Obviously there is a performance hit when you use the all_generic_ide option.

Can someone possibly explain how to actually fix this issue? the way I see it, I can research this for 2 days and if we can figure it out I'll still come out ahead!

Thanks! Let me know what other information I can post!
    Last edited by mortalic; August 9th, 2008 at 06:44 AM. Reason: SOLVED

Beans

Re: ERROR: ata1.00 FAILED TO IDENTIFY

I've never had any issues with drives ect. so if this is a dumb response I do apologize. Now that you have 8.04 installed have you tried removing the all-generic parameter and booting up normal?

edit: what I imagine might happen is you'll boot up fine, the sata hdd drives will work fine and your dvd drive (which I'm assuming is a sata drive) won't be detected. If that's the case there may be a workaround other than the all-generic.... which is clearly unsuitable.
    Last edited by mc4man; August 8th, 2008 at 04:19 AM.

Beans

Well unfortunately that's not exactly the issue. The CD drive is an IDE drive, the HDD's are both SATA. I have removed the all_generic_ide option and tried the three modes in my bios (SATA, RAID, AHCI) on 8.04 but it still drops out to busybox with the error. So I had to add the all_generic_ide line back to grub.

LOL on the plus side I've transfered a whopping 32.1gb since my first post. LOL.. *sigh*

Beans

Bump, does anyone have any help? This is really something I don't know how to fix.

Beans

Ok, I managed to find out how to fix this, and not lose performance such as when you add all_generic_ide.

This works on the Asus A8V-MX motherboard, I have bios revision 503, change your chipset's southbridge mode to AHCI, modify your menu.lst file that has the main kernel line, and add:
    pci=nomsi

I found that on this thread:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/209454

from this poster:
    btherio

good job btherio!