Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exaile vs. Songbird

Beans

Exaile vs. Songbird

I've heard both are good. What I'm looking for is which has better connectivity with iPods?

At the moment I'm running a dual boot with Windows/Ubuntu mainly because I want Windows for CS and for iTunes. I'm going to try CS on Wine and one of the two programs mentioned above and if both run well, I want to reformat the comp to only have Ubuntu.

Help and thanks!

Beans

Re: Exaile vs. Songbird

I have used both extensively but have finally settled on songbird since for me there was better memory managment and it didn't lag when trying to scroll through my 10,000 songs plus it had way better features than exaile. It's also the first media player for me in linux to have worked well with my ipod (fifth generation ipod video 30 GB). I would try both though since songbird is still beta and for some people it works (as in my case) and for others it just doesn't do various bugs. If both don't work for you you can try Rythmebox or Amarok (exaile is basically Amarok for gnome)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    I have used both extensively but have finally settled on songbird since for me there was better memory managment and it didn't lag when trying to scroll through my 10,000 songs plus it had way better features than exaile. It's also the first media player for me in linux to have worked well with my ipod (fifth generation ipod video 30 GB). I would try both though since songbird is still beta and for some people it works (as in my case) and for others it just doesn't do various bugs. If both don't work for you you can try Rythmebox or Amarok (exaile is basically Amarok for gnome)
    I'm not sure which iPod generation I have? I have the 80 gb video iPod that still has the normal menus (not that skinny menu that sits on the left side of the screen). Is that fifth generation as well? If so, I may go with Songbird, at least first.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rdg11 View Post
    I'm not sure which iPod generation I have? I have the 80 gb video iPod that still has the normal menus (not that skinny menu that sits on the left side of the screen). Is that fifth generation as well? If so, I may go with Songbird, at least first.
    Sounds like a fifth generation, I would though highly recommend songbird. If you have ever used winamp in windows you will feel right at home otherwise there are skins to make it look like itunes. It's really got a bunch of features but basically it's just a media player built on top of Firefox so it's both an internet browser and media player. Biggest drawback though is that it's still beta software and you will probably find bugs (all the ones I have found have been minor) and if it doesn't work then you know why so just move on and try Exaile which in it self isn't too shabby of a media player either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well, the only way you'll know which one works better for you is if you try them both.
    From my experience, exaile didn't read the database right so the song files were things like (F34SB), on the other hand Songbird read everything correctly, but it erased some of the song's names. BUT that's just from what I experienced. As I said you should try them both out and see which one is right for you.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Sounds like a fifth generation, I would though highly recommend songbird. If you have ever used winamp in windows you will feel right at home otherwise there are skins to make it look like itunes. It's really got a bunch of features but basically it's just a media player built on top of Firefox so it's both an internet browser and media player. Biggest drawback though is that it's still beta software and you will probably find bugs (all the ones I have found have been minor) and if it doesn't work then you know why so just move on and try Exaile which in it self isn't too shabby of a media player either.
    What about the possibility of running iTunes out of Wine? Does it run smoothly?

Beans
    Distro

iTunes is really buggy in WINE, not to mention extremely laggy, and it didn't even recognize my iPod when I plugged it in. lol

Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Question about Wine, how do I emulate a visual interface? All it does is just run and it opens the Windows programs in Ubuntu windows. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Visual interface? I don't quite get what you mean.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    Visual interface? I don't quite get what you mean.
    I mean actually have a window called Wine that has a Windows desktop in it and running the programs in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast