Thread: NEF tumbnails in Nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

NEF tumbnails in Nautilus

This has been asked before but not really answered (again, a pretty recent thread about it is already closed inside the archives). Some say installing gnome-raw-thumbnailer will do it, but others (like myself) cant' see the thumbnails after installing that package.

The home page of the project is so sparse that I can copy it fully here:

"This is the home page of gnome-raw-thumbnailer. It's largely based on Dave Coffin's parse.c and Bastien Nocera's totem-video-thumbnailer. The thumbnailer doesn't support auto-rotation yet. It also doesn't install its metadata (gconf schema and shared-mime-info) into the proper directories.
    I accept patches.
    george"

(Since the project has been stalled for more than three years now, we can safely assume George has abandoned it, and unless someone else takes it, we shouldn't expect improvements soon.)

I've highlighted the one sentence I don't understand and that maybe affects the behaviour of the software. What are those "gconf schema" and "shared mime info" things? Will set them properly make this work? How do I do that?

Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: NEF tumbnails in Nautilus

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about the warnings - I have gnome-raw-thumbnailer installed and it works fine for Canon .CR2 files with no tweaking at all. I think it reads the embedded JPEG so should work with new cameras - it certainly does with the 40D.

Maybe the problem is that you've set the filesize limit for thumbnail generation too low.

In Nautilus, Edit > Preferences > Preview Tab, and change the 'only for files smaller than' entry to a larger value.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have my preview filesize limit set to 1 GiB. I've also deleted the .thumbnails folder to no avail.

My Nikon D40 is set to RAW only (not RAW+JPEG). Maybe that's the problem. I will check it tomorrow with a few pictures.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Setting it to RAW only should be OK - RAW+JPEG is a waste unless you need an instant JPEG for printing or transmission. There is usually a JPEG embedded in the RAW file, and that's what the thumbnailer should read.

I'm sorry I can't explain why it doesn't work, unless there's something unusual about NEF files. It may be the type of compression they use, which will be different from Canon. I've tried it with a 10D, 30D and 40D and the thumbnailer works. It sounds like a compatibility issue rather than the way the software is set up, but if you know anyone with a Canon you may like to try it with CR2 files.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.

Beans

I noticed ...
    *.NEF gives thumbnails, *.nef doesn't .

Anyone?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rvanderh View Post
    I noticed ...
    *.NEF gives thumbnails, *.nef doesn't .

Anyone?
    Yep. Me too. Only with me it's *.CR2 which gives thumbs and *.cr2 which doesn't. Thanks for pointing that out. I assume it's either a bug in gnome-raw-thumbnailer or I have to rename them all.

Either way, thanks for the tip. At least now I can see them.

Beans

I've checked the /usr/share/mime/packages/gnome-raw-thumbnailer.xml file and it lists both upper and lower case versions of the file extensions and yet it only recognizes the upper case ones. I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It works fine for me with both .nef and .NEF, I have ufraw installed and both desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/application@x-ufraw and desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/image@x-nikon-nef enabled in gconf-editor..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    It works fine for me with both .nef and .NEF, I have ufraw installed and both desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/application@x-ufraw and desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/image@x-nikon-nef enabled in gconf-editor..
    Wow.. installing ufraw enabled a bunch of stuff. Now thumbnails show up perfectly in Nautilus!

Thanks for the hint.

Beans

Plaese mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx!