Thread: Enable Wireless Completely Dissapeared

Beans

Enable Wireless Completely Dissapeared

I have read various threads about wireless disappearing from the Network Manager, and most of these ended up being fixed by commenting out various lines from /etc/network/interfaces . I have tried this numerous times and it's not working for me still.

I have been running ubuntu on my dell for about 6 months and using wireless the whole time with no problem. Recently, I unchecked the "enable wireless" box in the Network Manager because I didn't want it to auto-connect one day. After that, it completely disappeared, not only from the Network Manager, but also from Network Settings,so I basically see no wireless options anywhere where they should be. And, as stated above I commented out everything in the /etc/network/interfaces.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Enable Wireless Completely Dissapeared

what kind of driver were you using?

Beans

Is the kernel module for the chip loaded? Check with lsmod and look for it if you know what module/chip it is.

Next, does ifconfig or iwconfig list the interface? Probably will be eth1 or wlan0.

Is networkmanager (the background daemon) running? Check with ps ax in a terminal.

If those things are all ok, is the networkmanager GUI running? Is this a laptop with a switch that turns off wireless?
    Steve

http://xercestech.com - Insanely geeky projects n stuff

Beans

Oooof!!! Well, sometimes (usually) it's the most obvious solutions that end up fixing the problem. My previous Dell laptop had a wireless on/off switch located near the top of the keyboard and was much more obvious. This Dell D630 laptop has a wireless on/off switch on the left side near the wireless card slot, i didn't even know it was there. looks like it got switched into the off position.

Thanks for the idea! And thanks for making me feel smart!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrsteveman1 View Post
    Is the kernel module for the chip loaded? Check with lsmod and look for it if you know what module/chip it is.

Next, does ifconfig or iwconfig list the interface? Probably will be eth1 or wlan0.

Is networkmanager (the background daemon) running? Check with ps ax in a terminal.

If those things are all ok, is the networkmanager GUI running? Is this a laptop with a switch that turns off wireless?
    I am Having A Problem With My Sierra Wireless Aircard 595U Not showing up. do you think that you can help me out with this?

Beans

s_dub: make a new thread and post the URL for it here.
    Steve

http://xercestech.com - Insanely geeky projects n stuff