Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

Beans

Cool Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

So I am also new to using linux and I have spent the last 2 hour using google and the forums on here to try and get my wireless to work. After plugged into a wired connection I was still not able to get internet however it changed my wireless from being disabled and not allowing me to enable it to "Device not ready (firmware missing).

my wireless card is a Broadcome Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.06.02.0 Network controller [14e4:4318] (rev 02)

I guess I am just trying to figure out a way to fix or download the drives for the firmware so my wireless does work though without using internet. I have one computer that does have internet and a USB flash drive I can use to transfer files. Though will this work and if so what should I download to fix it.

The laptop I am using is a compaq presario v5000.

I would greatly appreciate any ones help on this!

Brittanie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

Hi welcome to the forum! this should work check out post 3 at this link.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873690
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Brittanie Marie: please follow wildmanne39's link for getting the firmware in place. We can also probably get your wired Internet working if you post the output of the commands "lspci -nn" and "lshw -C Network"; if the wireless is all you care about, though, maybe the wired isn't important.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi welcome to the forum! this should work check out post 3 at this link.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873690
    Thank you
    Hey Thank you. I followed the post to the T though I am still not able to access wireless. I posted below the results from terminal. If you have any suggestions that I could you I would appreciate it greatly.

brittanie@Brittanie-Marie:~$ sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
    [sudo] password for brittanie:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/lib/firmware/b43': File exists
    brittanie@Brittanie-Marie:~$ cp Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g0bsinitvals5.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g0bsinitvals9.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g0initvals5.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g0initvals9.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g1bsinitvals13.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g1bsinitvals5.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g1bsinitvals9.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g1initvals13.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g1initvals5.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/a0g1initvals9.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/b0g0bsinitvals13.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/b0g0bsinitvals5.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/b0g0bsinitvals9.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/b0g0initvals13.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/b0g0initvals5.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/b0g0initvals9.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/lp0bsinitvals13.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/lp0bsinitvals14.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/lp0bsinitvals15.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/lp0initvals13.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/lp0initvals14.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/lp0initvals15.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/n0absinitvals11.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/n0bsinitvals11.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/n0initvals11.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/pcm5.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/ucode11.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/ucode13.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/ucode14.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/ucode15.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/ucode5.fw': Permission denied
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/firmware/b43/ucode9.fw': Permission denied
    brittanie@Brittanie-Marie:~$ sudo rmmod -f b43
    brittanie@Brittanie-Marie:~$ sudo rmmod -f ssb
    brittanie@Brittanie-Marie:~$ sudo modprobe b43

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, after you enter the first command you will need to enter your user password, it will not show the password on the screen so when you are done typing it hit enter.
    Run the commands one line at a time.
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi, after you enter the first command you will need to enter your user password, it will not show the password on the screen so when you are done typing it hit enter.
    Run the commands one line at a time.
    Thank you
    It looks like the problem was not actually with entering the password; that was done correctly. It didn't work because the "sudo" was missing from the second command: it should have been:
    Code:
    sudo cp Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
    and not just:
    Code:
    cp Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

From the directory you downloaded your firmware file you need to:

sudo cp Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43

This will require you to put in your password.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi pytheas22, thank you I missed that I was helping to many people at the same time earlier.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; November 3rd, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Beans

Talking Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (Wireless) driver??

Thank you everyone. It worked. YAY!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi Brittanie Marie, your welcome! I am glad it worked.
    Enjoy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast