Thread: installing on sata drive

installing on sata drive

hi, I am very new to Ubuntu so please bare with me!

I have just installed and setup a server with it so i can access all of my harddrives from my mac machines. I turned it off last night and then it wouldnt boot this morning. I have decided anyway to reinstall it on my raptor drive but with no hope.

I am using an old abit nf7-s board which has sata ports but is not detecting my harddrive to partition it ??? I know from windows you would put in a floppy disk and load the drivers but how would I get round this problem and help ubuntu see my hard drive . . . .

Thanks in advance to a very confused person!!!

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: installing on sata drive

go into the bios and change the sata mode from ACHI to ide or compatibility.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

New York, USA
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: installing on sata drive

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    go into the bios and change the sata mode from ACHI to ide or compatibility.
    I wonder if the OP isn't having the "magical random drive designation" problem?

Ubuntu has built in support for AHCI... I don't need any special driver disk when installing it (although I DO if I use XP - which doesn't have AHCI built in).

Sometimes I install Ubuntu onto a USB hard drive as an "expendable" experimental setup.

The drive is initally setup (i.e. GRUB) as HD3,0 but upon reboot I have to edit that line to say HD0,0 or else it won't boot.

Once I boot, I have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and fix the HD number so that it will boot in the future (without having to mess with the start screen).

-- Roger
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!