Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound on M-Audio card output

Beans

No sound on M-Audio card output

This is my 3rd attempt at articulating my problem (I'm desperate!)

Sound comes out my M-Audio jack when I'm using "Rhythmbox".

All other sounds, flashplayer, Ubuntu startup theme, etc., come out the motherboard jack. Here's a snapshot from /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:
    options bt87x index=-2
    options cx88_alsa index=-2
    options saa7134-alsa index=-2
    options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
    options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
    options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
    options snd-usb-audio index=-2
    options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
    options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
    # Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
    options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388

Does this give any hints? I would much prefer one output - the M-Audio card!

I've tried all possible configurations on the Preferences Sound GUI.
    Thanks
    jerry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: No sound on M-Audio card output

what output do you get from
    Code:
    asoundconf list

Beans

Here's what I get:

Revolution51
    NVidia

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

You might try
    Code:
    asoundconf set-default-card Revolution51
    doesn't look to promising though, I expected to see some numbers, as parameters. You could read through
    Code:
    man asoundconf
    for some clues.
    The gui too is very good. I'm using the Intrepid Ibex alpha release and it works better than ever, for me
    Last edited by spiderbatdad; August 6th, 2008 at 10:58 AM.

Beans

well the man page for asoundconf was not too illuminating. I tried that command (set default), which took, but I see no difference in my symptoms (sound coming out of mobo in some instances & sound coming out M-audio jack in Rhythmbox).

I think I've tried every possible command in the preferences/sound GUI. I don't know what GUI you're speaking of....What is Intrepid Ibex?

"Linux Format" magazine has a recent article on ALSA tips and they talk about changing the sound card order in the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file.

It's over my head but this may be where my problem lies.

Any other hints?
    Jerry
    p.s.
    my wife and I just spent the weekend in the Springfield, VT area. Nice place!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

after setting the default sound card did you restart?

Intrepid is the upcoming release of Ubutnu 8.10 due in October. It is available in alpha release now. Alpha3 i believe. The downside of alpha is generally the possibility of breakage due to instability and upgrades. But I must say I've been through 100's of updates without one hitch in this release. I think it's the best I've seen. I've been using Ubuntu since 5.10.
    Anyway, if you're game: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/alpha-3/

Beans

Hmmm
    If I swap distro's, I'd be inclined to go back to Fedora which recognized my sound card in the installation and it was smooth sailing from there on. I actually moved off Fedora because of the frequent update cycle - that's why I moved to the LTS support version of Ubuntu!

I've diddled with the sound GUI and I now (at least) have all the sound coming out of the mobo jack. I set all the settings to OSS. In doing so, i've lost the output from my M-Audio card.

Thanks for your help Spiderbatdad

I'm gonna ponder this for a while
    jerry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Regards, sound issues are very frustrating. I find the LTS's loose their luster long before the support runs out. I like staying current. I can't say enough good about Intrepid so far. And my sound works, whereas with Hardy I had to stay with the alpha kernel: 2.6.22-14
    In interpid I'm on 2.6.26-3server

One way of dealing with release cycles is to manually create a separate partition for your /home. That way you always have all your personal stuff in spite of distribution upgrades.

Beans

I actually have a separate partition for /home. I did it when i moved off Fedora. I've got /boot, / (root), swap, and /home. Tell me, when you do a clean install, can you do it so it doesn't touch your /home? I guess I've never paid that much attention.
    Jerry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywo View Post
    I actually have a separate partition for /home. I did it when i moved off Fedora. I've got /boot, / (root), swap, and /home. Tell me, when you do a clean install, can you do it so it doesn't touch your /home? I guess I've never paid that much attention.
    Jerry
    Indeed as long as you don't "use the entire disk" and wipe out your /home in the process

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast