Thread: Problem installing:

Hybrid View

Beans

Red face Problem installing:

Hello everyone. I am trying to install xubuntu on my old dell dimension 4100. 866mhz, 256ram and a 60gb hd. I already have windows xp pro on my hd, but I have no serial number for it so can't get into it. The question I have is, can I just pop in the xubuntu cd and install it over the windows? Or do I have to do something before that? I have tried to install it over windows and halfway through the installation process it says "user not known to the underlying authentication module," and the installation just stops. Then I tried "Try xubuntu without any change to your computer." I managed to get it started up and tried to install it from there, then when I am completing the installation steps on one part it says "prepare partitions" and it does not detect anything so I can't proceed to the next step.

What am I doing wrong here? Yeah, I suck at computers ...

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Problem installing:

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

Question Re: Problem installing:

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install.
    But I am running 256RAM. Why do I need the alternate CD that only requires you to have 64MB of RAM? That is pretty silly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The Alternate CD is a text based installer, especially made to avoid hardware and/or graphics problems.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ranchie:

If you are not going to be using the existing Windows O/S and if there is nothing else on the computer that you need to keep, I would get www.killdisk.com and WIPE the hard drive of the computer completely clean before trying to install Xubuntu.

Good luck.