Thread: Tomcat 6 & Postgresql NIGHTMARE!

Beans

Tomcat 6 & Postgresql NIGHTMARE!

I've tried almost everything.

I just can't make a simple jsp file connect to a postgresql database through tomcat 6.

web.xml , server.xml, bla bla bla.

I've modified a lot (always backing up), but no success at all.

How can i do this.

Please help!. Feel free to post tutorials or guides, but probably I already saw them.

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Tomcat 6 & Postgresql NIGHTMARE!

The problem is most likely with your java security policy.

You will need to make some changes to the file /etc/tomcat6/policy.d/04webapps.policy (assuming that your tomcat files are in /etc/tomcat6)
    Backup the file before messing with it, because if you mess it up (bad syntax, etc) tomcat will not start.

You can either try to find the correct permissions, or grant all permissions.

To grant all permissions, add the following to the beginning of the file:

Code:
    grant {
       permission java.security.AllPermission;
    }

If you don't want to do that, you might try something like:

Code:
    grant {
       permission java.net.SocketPermission "address.of.your.postgres.server.com","resolve,connect"; 
    }
    Also, check your tomcat log file -- if a security permission is causing the webapp to fail, it should show you what permission you need.

Hope this helps!
    Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.

Beans

Thank you johnl for replying.

No, im afraid is not that,

All I did was:

Save my .jsp file in tomcat/webapps/myfiles

Maybe I need a WEB-INF folder inside "myfiles" folder. But, what should be inside of it? a web.xml or a context.xml or both? And then, what web.xml or whatever.xml should content?

I'm very confused, beacuse then, we have the web.xml and context.xml inside tomcat/conf folder.

Which one should I modify?

Thanks for any help.

Beans

nvm I got it. I'll make blog explaining this for future generations I promise I'll post it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Did you make that blog? I also can't get tomcat to connect to postgresql.
    Ubuntu user # 14835

Beans

Actually johnl's answer completely true.
    edit this file
    /etc/tomcat6/policy.d/04webapps.policy
    add this line in the grant block
    permission java.net.SocketPermission "IP address or name of your postgresql server","resolve,connect";

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hello,

@thursgun: did you make that blog? i also have the problem and i searched a lot but i did not foun the appropriate solution. i tried to turn of the security manager, i granted more permission, but it does not work. in my log i get the following exception
    Code:
    Jun 3, 2009 10:12:33 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
    SEVERE: Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
    com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.UnexpectedException: Service method 'public abstract java.lang.String com.example.servertodatabase.client.GreetingService.countUser()' threw an unexpected exception: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission exitVM.1)
    	at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.encodeResponseForFailure(RPC.java:360)
    	at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.invokeAndEncodeResponse(RPC.java:546)
    	at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processCall(RemoteServiceServlet.java:166)
    	at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.doPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:86)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
    	at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:244)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:537)
    	at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:276)
    	at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:162)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:283)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.access$000(ApplicationFilterChain.java:56)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1.run(ApplicationFilterChain.java:189)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:185)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
    	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:845)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
    Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission exitVM.1)
    	at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:342)
    	at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:553)
    	at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:549)
    	at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkExit(SecurityManager.java:761)
    	at java.lang.Runtime.exit(Runtime.java:105)
    	at java.lang.System.exit(System.java:923)
    	at com.example.servertodatabase.server.Database.loadJdbcDriver(Database.java:121)
    	at com.example.servertodatabase.server.GreetingServiceImpl.countUser(GreetingServiceImpl.java:56)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
    	at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.invokeAndEncodeResponse(RPC.java:527)
    	... 28 more
    does someone have an advice? i would really like to solve the problem.

best regards

chf