Thread: Belkin 54g router won't connect to the internet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Belkin 54g router won't connect to the internet

Hi All,

I am trying to help a friend - Mattt- with a toshiba laptop and 8.04 kubuntu connect to belkin adsl 54g router.

The laptop connects to the router and you get an IP. The router can be pinged. No external IP addresses can be pinged and no external web addresses can be got to from Firefox.

A windows laptop happily works with the same router which makes it all the more interesting.

Also it wont work over ethernet so its not just down to a wireless driver.

I dont understand much about ADSL because i have cable but is there something odd with linux and getting modems to dial out. All this ppoe stufff?

Hopefully Matt can pick up this thread and we can get him going.

He has posted this on launchpad here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/38493
    but with no luck.

tia Dred
    It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.

Henry Ford

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Belkin 54g router won't connect to the internet

I am not sure whether I need to clarify. Somebody must be using a 54g belkin router with ubuntu and be able to dial to talktalk internet.

I dont understand adsl modems - especially built into routers. I also have no idea what would cause the modem to dial with windows but not ubuntu.

I told him that everyone here was wonderful and no-one has responded.
    It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.

Henry Ford

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Belkin 54g router won't connect to the internet

I am having similar problems, have you resolved it yet??

-=Larry=-