Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu too slow in Toshiba Libretto L2

Beans

Angry Xubuntu too slow in Toshiba Libretto L2

Dear experts,

I know my Libretto L2 may be too outdated but I really want it revive under the god of Linux.

I have limited knowledge of Linux but I luckily encountered some guy from the web that taught me to boot the Libretto via PXE and I can install Hardy through network installation into the Libretto L2, some spec of it are:

Crusoe 600MHz CPU
    128MB ram

I choose xubuntu, having been told that xfce is lightweight.

And I stumbled into two problems:
    1) It is just too slow to start up or to load any application in xfce, is it because I have 128MB ram only? (I've tried to find the MicroDIMM PC100 SDRAM in computer store but they are too old to be found, or as expensive as a new notebook)
    The same notebook can run winME with acceptable speed, and I wish for ubuntu there are ways to further trim down the OS/windows manager to make things run faster?

2) I cannot reconfigure the video setting for X environment, it is defaulted to 640x480 but my Libretto L2 has 1280x600 resolution. I googled for solution and found a command like:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    I tried but it asked for my keyboard configuration only, never got the chance to touch the video setting.

Best regards,
    Red

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Xubuntu too slow in Toshiba Libretto L2

Quote Originally Posted by redification View Post
    is it because I have 128MB ram only?
    Most likely, yes.

You can see if the system is chewing up your RAM by using the System Monitor. It'll show how much RAM and swap is being used at any one time. The system uses swap when it's running low on RAM.

Beans

Hi Redification, your experience is not unique to the Libretto; many users with older hardware are experimenting with alternatives to 'vanilla' Xubuntu. I think you'll find this thread instructive: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873112

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Hi Redification, your experience is not unique to the Libretto; many users with older hardware are experimenting with alternatives to 'vanilla' Xubuntu. I think you'll find this thread instructive: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873112
    Thx for the info. I am planning to remove xubuntu Desktop and install fluxbox instead, are the following 2 command sufficient?

sudo apt-get remove xubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get install fluxbox

I followed the link to
    http://www.binonabiso.com/en/Ubuntu-miniRAM-HOWTO.html

It mentioned that xubuntu run well at 64MB ram, is it accurate?

Best regards,
    Red

Beans

The same notebook can run winME with acceptable speed, and I wish for ubuntu there are ways to further trim down the OS/windows manager to make things run faster?
    You have to trim down the services running in the background, not only the user interface. You probably dont need things like bluetooth, CUPS, seven virtual terminals etc...

Remember also that you should run only lightweight software: Abiword instead of OpenOffice.Org etc.

You might also try some lighter distro, like Zenwalk.

Greetings,

mikko
    Last edited by mikjp; August 5th, 2008 at 07:29 AM.

Beans

Dear experts,

I know my Libretto L2 may be too outdated but I really want it revive under the god of Linux.

I have limited knowledge of Linux but I luckily encountered some guy from the web that taught me to boot the Libretto via PXE and I can install Hardy through network installation into the Libretto L2, some spec of it are:

Crusoe 600MHz CPU
    128MB ram

1) It is just too slow to start up or to load any application in xfce, is it because I have 128MB ram only? (I've tried to find the MicroDIMM PC100 SDRAM in computer store but they are too old to be found, or as expensive as a new notebook)

2) I cannot reconfigure the video setting for X environment, it is defaulted to 640x480 but my Libretto L2 has 1280x600 resolution. I googled for solution and found a command like:
    I tried but it asked for my keyboard configuration only, never got the chance to touch the video setting.

Best regards,
    Red
    try debian xfce4, also that "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" will still work in debian etch, so it should be easy to set your screen.
    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...-xfce-CD-1.iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thx for the info. I am planning to remove xubuntu Desktop and install fluxbox instead, are the following 2 command sufficient?

I followed the link to

Best regards,
    Red
    xubuntu-desktop is just a metapackage, removing it will change nothing... but you can install fluxbox in parallel, and choose from the login interface which desktop environment you want to use

BUT it will still boot slow... i would go for reinstall of nubuntu or fluxbuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

with 128 mb ram you might want to try a different distro that is lighter. Debian with Xfce could be an option and it's also very much like Ubuntu (ubuntu is based on debian).

Maybe Arch would also be an option or then a real lightweight sytem like DamnSmallLinux or PuppyLinux or FeatherLinux.

OR if you can add a bit more ram. Another 128 MB or even 256 MB will make a huge difference.

Beans
    Hidden!

Dear experts,

Crusoe 600MHz CPU
    128MB ram

Best regards,
    Red
    Try adding more RAM and try a different distro. (Xubuntu isn`t that light.) TinyMe, Feather Linux, Puppy Linux and such should run - not fast, but they will run.

Beans

Best to add fluxbox first, then remove xubuntu later once you're sure everything works (unless you are desperately low on hard disk space). You can choose between them at login by choosing sessions. I am not 100% sure, but I think that using Synaptic to mark xubuntu-desktop for complete removal is what you want to do (keeping in mind it will remove most of your applications as well). You could also use 'sudo aptitiude remove xubuntu-desktop' but I think that only works if you installed it using aptitude?

I followed the link to

No, Xubuntu 8.04 definitely does not run well with 64mb--see the link in my previous post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast