Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung CLP-300 color profile problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question Samsung CLP-300 color profile problem

I purchased the Samsung CLP-300 a little before Xmas tlast year, so the printer is not 8 months old yet. When purchased, I took it out the box and plugged it in. When the wire connected, it took all of 7 seconds to install the CUPS system and required drivers automatically - I didn't have to do anything.

Now I've run into a very complex problem; I'm using Photoshop CS in a VirtualBox install to create color-managed pictures. I can then open them in Gimp and they are effectively color-managed as well, and appear exactly the same in one app screen and the next. So color management works... for my LCD monitor.

Not so for my printer. The images are very dark, somber even. I figured I needed to install an appropriate ICC or ICM color profile, so I looked around, and I couldn't find any info on it.

In finally resorted to Google, and found the following links:

The first link explains that the tester used cups-calibrate to manage the color on the printer. I ran that, but then I discovered the color profile would not affect the CUPS driver unless I used a print plugin with Gimp called "Print with Gutenprint". So I installed it. I got the plugin to appear, I can print documents, but the profiling created with cups-calibrate is not being used. I get very somber colors, on every print - and they are all the same. There is no color management.

To me, it looks like CUPS doesn't use color management running in Gutenprint, in foo2qpdl, or in any other wrapper or driver. As explained by cups-calibrate, I've added the *colorProfile line to /etc/cups/PDD/CLP-300.pdd - with no results at all.

I'd like to know - I share this printer with my laptop. If I must change the CUPS system to Ghostscript, or something like that, It'll be difficult for me since I am not very experienced in stuff like that; also, I must know that this sharing will work over NFS with my laptop (running the same Ubuntu version).

If you need more details, please ask - I need to fix this pronto!
    Couzin2000
    Sainte-Thérèse | Quebec | Canada

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Samsung CLP-300 color profile problem

Exactly the same problem here. I ended up with an acceptable cupsColorProfile setting, inserted into /etc/cups/PDD/CLP-300.pdd, and tried printing. Like it was not even there, none of the gnome programs printed with the new color settings. The example pictures printed by cups-calibrate at the end of the process are perfect.

Beans
    Distro

One possible solution I found is to buy a custom profile. Process is simple: you got one or two images, you print them without color correction, send the paper back via snail mail, and get your custom profile via email. Worth to try, costs ~10$. Details described at the end of this document: http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/INSTALL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Samsung CLP-300 color profile problem

Perhaps this thread can help you?

[SOLVED] CLP-300 Color Range is Wrong

EDIT: Yes, it helped enormously. The key is to open a terminal and do this:

Code:
    cd /usr/share/foo2qpdl/icm/
    sudo getweb 300
    Last edited by qole; August 24th, 2008 at 04:58 AM. Reason: hoorah it worked

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/foo2qpdl/icm/
    sudo getweb 300
    I already have this icm file, for me it's color correction is not acceptable, dark photos, etc... The problem is, as described in some forums, color correction is for one kind of ink and one kind of paper-type. Perfect for the creator, acceptable for some people, and unacceptable for others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The original poster was not able to get colour correction working at all. I was just saying where and how the colour correction file could be obtained. The printer, as installed by Ubuntu, does not have any colour correction. My oranges were printing as dark brown. After installing the ICM file, my oranges were orange again, albeit a dark orange.

I think the ICM file leaves something to be desired, also.

Please note that cups-calibrate, as stated in the opening text when you run that program, only works with certain printer drivers, specifically "Gutenprint CUPS or ESP Print Pro drivers". The default CLP-300 driver is not one of these, it is the foo2qpdl driver. According to the OpenPrinting link in the original post, you need to use the Splix driver "built with jbigkit (which might not be included in your distro due to patent issues, so you might need to build it by yourself)" if you want the cups-calibrate results to have any effect.

EDIT: I notice that the manual for foo2qpdl mentions the ability to change the gamma. This might improve the darkness issues that we're having:

−G gamma-file.ps
    Prepend gamma-file.ps to the Postscript input to perform color correction using the setcolortransfer Postscript operator. For example, the file might contain:
    {0.333 exp} {0.333 exp} {0.333 exp} {0.333 exp} setcolortransfer
    Last edited by qole; August 24th, 2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added gamma hint

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

new gamma didn't change a thing... I did implement many things in foo2qpdl, and there is some improvement - but not enough for my taste. Any other suggestions?
    Couzin2000
    Sainte-Thérèse | Quebec | Canada

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No more suggestions, I've resigned myself to printing to my CLP-300 from Windows until someone:
    1. produces a reasonable ICM file
    2. produces a reasonable CRD file ("The CRD-based method was tuned for Ghostscript and the foo2qpdl engine, and produces better colors.")
    3. Shows me how to calibrate this printer with open source software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just a note, I'm not near my printer at the moment, so I can't test anything out. In order to make changes to colour management, you have to mess with the PPD file like so:

in /etc/cups/ppd/CLP-300.ppd :

Code:
    *OpenGroup: Adjustment/Adjustment

*OpenUI *ICM/ICM Color Profile: PickOne
    *FoomaticRIPOption ICM: enum CmdLine A
    *OrderDependency: 300 AnySetup *ICM
    *DefaultICM: clp300
    *ICM clp300/CLP-300: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: ICM=clp300"
    *FoomaticRIPOptionSetting ICM=clp300: "-C10 -Gsamclp300-0.icm "
    *ICM photo/Photos: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: ICM=photo"
    *FoomaticRIPOptionSetting ICM=photo: "-C1 "
    *ICM photext/Photos and Text: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: ICM=photext"
    *FoomaticRIPOptionSetting ICM=photext: "-C2 "
    *ICM grph/Graphics and Text: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: ICM=grph"
    *FoomaticRIPOptionSetting ICM=grph: "-C3 "
    *ICM none/No ICM color correction: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: ICM=none"
    *FoomaticRIPOptionSetting ICM=none: "-C10 -Gnone.icm "
    *CloseUI: *ICM

*CloseGroup: Adjustment
    Here, I've deleted all of the colour profiles that were useless and I've added a few that might work according to the manual, namely the CRD profiles:

−C colormode
    Color correction mode [0].
    0 Best compromise
    1 Photos (using m2300w CRDs)
    2 Photos and text (using m2300w CRDs)
    3 Graphics and text (using m2300w CRDs)
    10 ICM color profile (using -G *.icm file)
    I'm not convinced that the -C parameter is even used here, despite the fact that it is included in the command line of the PPD. It might be silently ignored. I think the best bet is to figure out how to include gamma info.

couzin2000:

How did you test your new gamma? Do you have a .ps file with some good gamma settings in it? Could you post it here? I wonder if you can do the -G parameter twice, or do you have to concatenate / prepend / append the gamma settings to the samclp300-0.icm file?
    Last edited by qole; August 26th, 2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Gamma question for couzin2000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good news!

The "Photos" setting (-C1) in my modified PPD produces a much more accurate printout. It still isn't quite as accurate as the Windows printout, but it is better than the Samsung ICM.

I copied a bunch of files into my crd folder, if you do not get any improvement, then post here and I'll tell you what I copied.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast