Thread: Partioning question...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Partioning question...

So I've bought a new computer, it came with Vista. The thing is my brother wants to use Vista so I wanna keep it on there, but the thing is my computer came with a "Recovery HDD" which is 15GB, my question is do you think I could put Linux on there, because I've read on other forums where you can't even touch that harddrive because it will just ruin Windows.

I've checked the "My Computer" option in Windows and it does recgonize I have two harddrives, so that's a good thing, but do you think If I put Ubuntu on this HDD it will ruin Windows?

I'm no Linux noob, but I'm not sure how Windows would react to something like this, and I've looked through the recovery HDD it's just a bunch of WinRar files, but again I'm not sure.

As of right now I'm using Windows Vista, and I don't like it! Remember I have to keep it though due to my brother, so if there is any ideas, let me know! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Partioning question...

Installing *buntu on the other hard-drive isn't going to "ruin" windows.

Michael

Beans

You know you have the option of duel booting your primary harddrive, this will allow you to choose which OS you would like to run at bootup. This will save you touching the emergency windows drive aswell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tuxxy View Post
    You know you have the option of duel booting your primary harddrive, this will allow you to choose which OS you would like to run at bootup. This will save you touching the emergency windows drive anyway if you say it can mess up windows.
    Yes I'm aware of that, but again it's my brother and he is somewhat of a noob, and doesn't want anything to happen, so I'm just reassuring him that nothing will happen, but yes I'm aware of that option as well.

Beans

In that case 15GB sounds more than enough

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have used the recovery partition for Ubuntu installs on older computers it works well but , you no longer have recovery options when windows screws up unless you have a recovery CD.
    Plus the recovery section is usually kinda small
    You can divide up your Vista partition and save your recovery
    partition. I think the easy way is to use the vista partition editor do shrink the vista partition ,then install Ubuntu. You should always back up your data before fooling around with partitioning, that will help reassure your nervous brother.